Man, 23, surrenders in Eaton Centre attack
TORONTO (AP) -- Police said Monday that Christopher Husbands, 23, a man already under house arrest on a previous charge, has surrendered to authorities in connection with the Eaton Centre shooting Saturday evening.
A personal issue apparently sparked the shooting in the Toronto mall's food court that left one person dead and seven others injured, police said.
The dead man, along with an associate who remained in critical condition with gunshot wounds, were members of the same gang as the suspect, police said. "Regardless, I do not believe this to be a gang-motivated shooting," said Detective Sgt. Brian Borg, the lead investigator. "I believe there's personal aspects involved."
Husbands, now charged with first-degree murder, was supposed to be confined to his house under the previous charge and was returned to custody until a video appearance set for Aug. 15.
The shooting sent panicked shoppers at the Toronto landmark scrambling for the exits. Ahmed Hassan, 24, died of gunshot wounds at the scene.
Al-Qaida No. 2 target of drone; fate unclear
ISLAMABAD (AP) -- A CIA drone strike Monday targeted al-Qaida's second-in-command, Abu Yahia al-Libi, but it was unclear whether he was among those hit, U.S. officials said.
Fewer than five people were hit, although Pakistani officials said more than a dozen people were killed in two days of strikes in Pakistan.
The CIA has carried out a half-dozen strikes in less than two weeks, as the U.S. pushed ahead with the controversial drone attacks despite Pakistani demands to stop.
U.S. officials said they did not know yet whether al-Libi was among those killed but said they were "optimistic."
Al-Libi would be the latest in the dozen-plus senior commanders removed in the clandestine U.S. war against al-Qaida since Navy SEALs killed Osama bin Laden last year.
Al-Libi took the second-in-command spot when Egyptian-born Ayman al-Zawahiri took charge after bin Laden's death.