Share this article

print logo


Cambodia claims theft of statues at The Met

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Cambodian government says two ancient statues on display at New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art were stolen from the country decades ago and should be returned.

For nearly 20 years, the 10th century sandstone figures, called the Kneeling Attendants, have been a centerpiece of the museum's Southeast Asian collection.

But a Cambodian agency believes that the life-size statues were taken from a jungle temple sometime around 1970, along with other pieces looted as the country descended into civil war, according to the New York Times.

The Met got the statues as a gift, with the first piece arriving in 1987. Museum officials said they don't know where the donors obtained them.

Archaeologists said the statues were at Cambodia's Prasat Chen temple for 1,000 years.


Former police officer struck, killed by SUV

GREECE (AP) -- A former police officer in suburban Rochester who nearly died in a patrol car crash a decade ago has been involved in another crash, and this time it killed him.

Retired officer Sung Chung, 46, was walking on a sidewalk in Greece around 10 a.m. Saturday when a passing motorist lost control of his SUV, drove onto the sidewalk and hit him, according to the Democrat and Chronicle.

In 2002, Chung was forced to retire from the town police force in Gates after he suffered a severe head injury when his cruiser struck a tree as he was responding to a burglary call.

The cause of Saturday's crash was under investigation. Police said the driver suffered minor injuries.


Small fire extinguished at trade center site

NEW YORK (AP) -- Firefighters responded Saturday to the 89th floor of One World Trade Center to help construction workers put out a smoldering fire in some wooden decking.

The small fire never progressed to the point where it posed a threat to life or property, but its location on the site of the Sept. 11 attacks made it anything but routine.

The New York City Fire Department said it got the call for help at 7:15 a.m. Workers at the unfinished tower used fire extinguishers to put out the burning plywood, but firefighters were still on the scene wetting down the area an hour later.

Pat Foye, executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the unfinished skyscraper, said there were no injuries or structural damage and that construction work hadn't been halted.

The skyscraper is more than 1,200 feet high, with a few hundred feet more to go until it reaches its full height. President Obama is scheduled to visit the tower June 14 to get a briefing on construction.