Share this article

print logo

Fugitive in homicide is tracked down

A fugitive suspect in a city homicide is being held in West Virginia, after being tracked down and arrested Tuesday night by agents of the U.S. Marshal's Fugitive Task Force.

Matthew A. Davis III, 37, of Ashland Avenue, fled the city shortly after Antoine Bradberry, 41, was strangled Aug. 22.

Davis has waived an extradition hearing and will likely be brought back to the Falls from Taylor County, W.Va., sometime next week, Detective Lt. Michael Trane told The Buffalo News.

Davis will face charges of second-degree murder, first-degree robbery and first-degree burglary, Trane said.

New York State Police Senior Investigator Kevin Kendall, of the Violent Felony Warrant Squad, worked closely with federal marshals to track down Davis, Trane said.

Davis is accused of working with two others to rob Bradberry in his Rainbow Boulevard apartment last summer. Davis also is accused of strangling Bradberry.

The plan allegedly was to steal high-grade marijuana the three suspected Bradberry kept in his freezer. The co-defendants, Teara D. Fatico, 22, and Chastity L. Wilson, 21, both of Niagara Falls, were to distract Bradberry and keep him away from his apartment by getting him drunk.

According to police reports, Bradberry walked in on Davis while he was burglarizing his apartment; Davis then held down Bradberry on the victim's sofa and asphyxiated him with a shirt.

A surveillance video camera at the front door of the apartment building where Bradberry was killed produced a break in the case, police said, as it recorded Davis, Fatico and Wilson going in and out of the building the night of the murder.

Fatico and Wilson, originally charged on murder and robbery counts, pleaded guilty Nov. 22 before Niagara County Judge Matthew J. Murphy III to attempted first-degree burglary. They admitted their roles in the crime.

The two women agreed to testify against Davis upon his capture. In February, Murphy sentenced each of them to 13-year state prison terms.