Share this article

print logo

NIAGARA POLICE & COURTS

Sanborn man accused of attempted kidnapping

A Sanborn man broke into a Lewiston home early Friday morning and tried to persuade a male occupant to leave with him, Niagara County deputies reported.

The intruder left when a woman occupant confronted him and the man was later picked up by deputies and charged with burglary and attempted kidnapping.

At about 3 a.m., a resident on Ward Road called 911 and said that an unknown man had broken into her residence. She reported that the man had left the house and was walking down her driveway.

Deputy Shawn Grapes located a man walking on Ward Road who matched the description.

Deputies determined that the man entered the residence through a rear window. Once inside, he walked upstairs to a bedroom and woke up a male resident, asking him to come with him. They started to walk downstairs when the woman intervened. They managed to get the intruder outside, lock the door and call 911.

Turhan E. Clause III, 21, of Saunders Settlement Road, was arraigned in Lewiston Town Court on charges of second-degree attempted kidnapping, second-degee burglary and third-degee menacing.

He is being held on $10,000 cash bail.

***

Son of deported rebel leader posts bail after conviction

LOCKPORT -- The son of a deported Liberian rebel leader was allowed to post $1,000 bail and leave Niagara County Jail on Friday in the wake of his conviction on two misdemeanor assault charges Wednesday.

Mahnseah T. Boley, 32, of Brockport, faces up to two years in jail when he returns before County Judge Matthew J. Murphy III on June 27. A jury convicted Boley on two counts of third-degree assault in the Sept. 5 beatings of his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend in the latter man's Niagara Falls home.

Assistant Public Defender Michele G. Bergevin said Boley, a U.S. citizen, has no valid passport, and she made Boley surrender his NEXUS card, which allows him to go to Canada. She said the bail was raised by members of a Monroe County church attended by Boley's mother, Kathryn.

His father, George S. Boley, was deported to Liberia last month on charges of committing war crimes during the Liberian civil war in the 1990s.

***

Sale of painkiller gets man drug diversion program

LOCKPORT -- A North Tonawanda man pleaded guilty this week to selling the painkiller oxycodone in that city, and was assigned to the judicial diversion program of court-supervised drug treatment.

Emery F. Mingle Jr., 22, of Schenck Street, admitted to third-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance for dealing the pills April 18 and May 18, 2011. Niagara County Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas said Mingle risks up to nine years in state prison if he washes out of the diversion program.

Also Tuesday, Farkas kicked a Lockport man out of diversion for continuing to use drugs.

Christopher J. Wagner, 24, of Cottage Street, risks 5 1/2 years in prison when he returns to court June 26. He pleaded guilty Feb. 28 to fourth-degree sale for selling Suboxone to a police informant Aug. 5.

***

Sight-impaired man faces statutory rape charge

LOCKPORT -- A visually impaired man, accused of having sex with a 15-year-old girl, pleaded not guilty to second-degree rape this week in Niagara County Court.

Zachary J. Lowman, 21, of 87th Street, Niagara Falls, was arrested Feb. 23 and charged with a statutory rape that allegedly occurred Nov. 29 in the Falls. Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth R. Donatello said Monday in court that the girl reportedly told Lowman she was 16. The age of sexual consent, however, is 17.

When police arrested Lowman, they charged him with first-degree rape for allegedly taking advantage of the girl by having her use synthetic marijuana. However, the indictment mentions only that she was underage, Donatello said.

As a result, Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas set bail at $1,000 for Lowman, who had been held for two months without bail.

***

Lockport man denies assaulting stepdaughter

LOCKPORT -- Robert C. Nix, accused of inflicting a separated shoulder on his teenage stepdaughter during a domestic incident, pleaded not guilty this week in Niagara County Court.

Nix, 43, of Locust Street, Lockport, was named in an eight-count indictment stemming from an alleged incident Nov. 25 at his estranged wife's home in Niagara Falls.

He allegedly broke in and assaulted his wife and the teenager, Deputy District Attorney Doreen M. Hoffmann said.

Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas jailed Nix on $5,000 bail. He is charged with two counts each of second-degree burglary, second-degree assault and child endangerment, and single counts of third-degree assault and third-degree criminal mischief.

Nix has been convicted on five previous felonies, four of them violent, Hoffmann said. Nix was in prison on a first-degree robbery charge from October 1991 to March 2003.