Son accused in attack that killed father
FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- A 19-year-old man on probation for drug convictions was charged with murder Wednesday for a baseball-bat attack on his family that killed his father and critically injured his mother and brother in suburban Detroit.
Separately, the Michigan Department of Corrections said it suspended Tucker Cipriano's probation agent while it investigates why there had been no formal contact between the two since mid-March.
Robert Cipriano, 52, was bludgeoned to death in the wee hours Monday after Tucker Cipriano and Mitchell Young, 20, broke into the family's home in Farmington Hills, northwest of Detroit, police said.
Rose Cipriano, 51, and another son, Sal, 17, also were attacked with a bat and remain in critical condition. Sal's twin brother, who called 911, and an 8-year-old sister were not physically harmed.
Tucker Cipriano and Young -- each charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder and armed robbery -- pleaded not guilty.
Airport security critic defends nude protest
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- An Oregon man who stripped naked at Portland International Airport as a protest against airport security screeners said Wednesday he was being "nude but not lewd," and characterized his act of defiance as protected political speech.
John Brennan of Portland faces charges of disorderly conduct and indecent exposure after taking off far more than his belt and shoes during the screening process before a Tuesday evening flight to San Jose, Calif.
Brennan said the Transportation Security Administration has trouble balancing the line between privacy and security, and he decided to protest because he was pulled aside after going through the metal detector.
Brennan planned to fly to San Jose on Wednesday night.
Nugent to cooperate with Secret Service
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Rocker and gun rights champion Ted Nugent says he will meet with the Secret Service today to explain his raucous remarks about what he called President Obama's "evil, America-hating administration" -- comments some critics interpreted as a threat against the president.
"The conclusion will be obvious that I threatened no one," Nugent said Wednesday. Nugent said he'd been contacted by the agency and would cooperate fully even though he found the complaints "silly."
The controversy erupted after he made an impassioned plea for support for Republican candidate Mitt Romney during the National Rifle Association meeting Saturday in St. Louis.
"We need to ride into that battlefield and chop their heads off in November," Nugent said of the Obama administration. He also included a cryptic pronouncement: "If Barack Obama becomes the next president in November, again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year."
Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz called on Romney to "condemn Nugent's violent and hateful rhetoric."