Share this article

print logo


Fast-moving fire rips through barn in Wilson

WILSON -- A Lake Street barn was destroyed as fire ripped through the structure about 4:30 p.m. Saturday.

The 60-by-80-foot barn at 610 Lake was in flames by the time Wilson firefighters arrived, according to the Niagara County Sheriff's Office. The barn and its contents were declared a total loss. The cause of the fire has not been determined.

South Wilson and Miller Hose fire companies assisted.


Driver killed in crash of pickup is identified

CAMBRIA -- Niagara County sheriff's officials identified the driver of a pickup who was killed in a two-vehicle crash Friday night as Richard Dunn. His age and address were not released.

Three passengers in the other vehicle involved remained hospitalized in Erie County Medical Center.

Ashley Wallace, who was the most seriously hurt, was in the trauma intensive care unit Saturday. Terrence Hardy and John Davis Jr. were listed in fair condition. The driver of that car, Shyla Houston, was not hospitalized.

The crash occurred at about 9:15 p.m., when Dunn, who was eastbound on Route 31, lost control of his pickup and hit the oncoming vehicle head on, authorities said.

The crash remains under investigation.


Medina man is accused of running meth lab

SHELBY -- A 10-month investigation by the Orleans County Major Felony Task Force led to a raid on a methamphetamine lab on Telegraph Road and the arrest of a Medina man, officials said.

Michael E. Daniels, 44, was charged with two counts each of third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and third-degree unlawful manufacture of methamphetamine and one count of criminal possession of precursors of methamphetamine.

He was arraigned in Shelby Town Court and was committed to Orleans County Jail without bail.

A warrant was issued for William G. Neff, 38, who had lived in Orleans County when the investigation began. He is in prison in Alabama on charges related to manufacturing meth.

The raid was conducted Thursday. Officials found about 10 grams of meth and an array of supplies used to produce the drug.

Participating in the raid in addition to the task force were the Niagara County Drug Task Force and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.


Sweepstakes scam foiled by suspicious Evans woman

Area residents were warned of a potential scam initially foiled by an alert Evans woman.

The woman received a telephone call Friday from a person claiming to be from Publishers Clearing House and asking her to remit $300 through Western Union through an address he would give her, according to Evans Police Detective Bruce Green Jr.

The caller claimed that would guarantee her a $250,000 cash prize and a new car in an upcoming Publishers Clearing House contest.

The woman recognized it as a scam and, when she told the caller she would be calling police and they would be tracing the phone call, the man immediately hung up, Green said.

Green said the woman called him and he then contacted the fraud department of Publishers Clearing House.

"They report that they would never call and ask for money," the detective said.


Dogs run free as plants are plucked out by vandals

NIAGARA FALLS -- Who let the dogs out? A 78th Street man was the victim of vandals employing just that ruse Friday evening and neighborhood youths are suspected, police said.

The victim was working in his front yard about 7 p.m. when someone freed his dogs from the backyard, police said. While rounding up the dogs, police added, someone pulled up 25 landscaping plants from the victim's front yard. The loss was placed at about $100.


Suspensions of license no impediment to driver

A West Delavan Avenue woman whose license had been suspended 15 times was arrested Friday afternoon on several traffic violations, police said.

Haylee Morales, 38, was pulled over at about 5:40 p.m. after a police officer saw her turn left from West Ferry Street to Grant Street in violation of a road sign that states: "No left turn 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. except Sunday."

The police officer saw that there was a 2-year-old child sitting in the back seat without a child safety seat or a seat belt. Three other children, ages 8, 9 and 10, were all sitting on the floor of the car without any type of safety restraints.