Share this article

print logo


Lockport man, 79, dies in two-vehicle collision

NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE, Ont. -- A 79-year-old Lockport man was killed Friday evening in a two-vehicle crash on the Niagara River Parkway in Niagara-on-the-Lake, authorities said Saturday

The victim's name has not been released, pending the notification of his relatives.

The victim was northbound when he lost control at about 7:40 p.m., according to Niagara Regional Police, working with Niagara Parks Police. The vehicle crossed into the oncoming southbound lane, where it collided with a van driven by a Virginia man.

The Lockport man's car went airborne, rolled over and landed on its roof on a concrete guardrail, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The other driver and his seven passengers were taken to Greater Niagara General Hospital with what authorities described as minor injuries.

Anyone with more information about the crash is asked to call the Niagara Regional Police's Collision Reconstruction Unit, at (905) 688-4111, Ext. 5500.


Irving motorcyclist hurt in collision with pickup

HANOVER -- A motorcyclist was injured in a collision with a pickup Saturday afternoon in Chautauqua County.

The crash occurred at about 1:30 p.m. Saturday at Versailles and Buffalo roads in the Town of Hanover, according to Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office.

Erie Larson Jr., 27, of Irving was trying to turn left on his motorcycle when he struck the front end of a pickup driven by Michael Brown, 54, of Forestville, authorities said.

Larson was taken to Lake Shore Hospital, and then transferred by helicopter to Erie County Medical Center. He was treated and released, a hospital official said Saturday.


Aggravated DWI charge lodged after near miss

WILSON -- A near head-on collision with a sheriff's patrol vehicle early Saturday landed a Wheatfield man in the county lockup on am aggravated driving while intoxicated charge.

John A. Jacobs Sr., 50, of Sy Road was arrested shortly before 1 a.m. after being pulled over on Burch Road, sheriff's deputies said. His blood-alcohol content was a 0.20 -- 2 1/2 times the legal limit, according to reports.

Jacobs, deputies said, was convicted of driving while intoxicated in 2005.


Man arrested by police connected to meth lab

JAMESTOWN -- Authorities in Chautauqua County have broken up a methamphetamine lab.

Jamestown police on Friday afternoon investigated the report of a meth lab at 10 Winsor Street. Investigators stopped Patrick T. Raynor, 45, leaving the residence, and found in his possession several devices used in the manufacturing of methamphetamine, police said.

Police added that they discovered a lab inside the house, after executing a search warrant.

Raynor was charged with third-degree unlawfully manufacture of methamphetamine. He was taken to the city jail on Friday awaiting arraignment.

Jamestown police were assisted at the scene by the Jamestown Fire Department, the Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office, Chautauqua County HazMat team, State Police and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.


Focus of subway rescue still in serious condition

The man rescued by a stranger when he fell off a subway platform onto the tracks is still listed in serious condition at Erie County Medical Center, a hospital official said Saturday.

John Ciszek, 59, was at the Utica Street subway station Thursday afternoon, when he suddenly collapsed and fell off the platform onto the tracks.

Steven Love, a fellow passenger, hopped down onto the tracks and lifted the unconscious Ciszek to safety as a train approached the platform.

The train operator had begun to slow the train as he approached the station, but was able to bring it to a full stop about 50 feet from where the man had fallen onto the tracks.


Four armed with handguns rob Hertel clothing store

Four robbers, each armed with a handgun, stormed into a Hertel Avenue clothing store on Friday night and took about $3,000 in cash before fleeing west on Hertel, Northwest District police said.

The four men, all in their late teens or early 20s, entered Rainbow Apparel at about 9 p.m. as a store clerk unlocked the door to let out remaining customers. One of the robbers put a gun to an employee's head and demanded money, police said.