Share this article

print logo

Ex-student kills 7, wounds 3 at college

A 43-year-old former student of a small Christian university opened fire at the school Monday, killing at least seven people and setting off a manhunt that ended with his capture at a nearby shopping center, authorities said.

Police Chief Howard Jordan said One L. Goh, a Korean national, surrendered about an hour after the shooting at Oikos University, which serves the Korean community.

Jordan said police recovered the weapon they believe he used during the rampage. "It's going to take us a few days to put the pieces together," Jordan said. "We do not have a motive."

Police first received a 911 call at 10:33 a.m. reporting a woman on the ground bleeding. As more calls came in from the school, the first arriving officer found a victim suffering from a life-threatening gunshot wound, Jordan said.

More officers arrived and formed a perimeter around the school, believing the suspect was still inside, he said.

"Potential victims remained inside the building, either trapped by a locked door, which officers were unable to open," or unable to flee because they were injured, he said.

Jordan said about 35 people were in or near the building when gunfire broke out. Five victims died at the scene and another two at the hospital. Three wounded victims are in stable condition, he said.

Tashi Wangchuk, whose wife attended the school and witnessed the shooting, said he was told by police that the gunman first shot a woman at the front desk, then continued shooting in classrooms.

He said his wife, Dechen Wangzom, was in her vocational nursing class when she heard gunshots. She locked the door and turned off the lights, Wangchuk said his wife told him.

The gunman "banged on the door several times and started shooting outside and left," he said. He said no one was hurt inside his wife's classroom.

The suspect was detained at a Safeway supermarket three miles from the university. A security guard approached the man because he was acting suspiciously, KGO-TV reported. The man told the guard that he needed to talk to police because he shot people, and the guard called authorities.

There are no comments - be the first to comment