Share this article

print logo

Chiefs snare fifth title; Hutch wins

Junior defensemen Peter Guido collected two goals and two assists while teammate sophomore forward Roy Davis added another pair of goals, helping the Iroquois/Alden Chiefs extend their impressive championship dynasty during the Super Sunday XXIII High School Club Hockey Championships at First Niagara Center.

The Chiefs routed the City Honors/Cardinal O'Hara Centaurs Hawks, 9-3, to earn their fifth consecutive league title in the Mixed Club championship division.

In other club championship games, the Hutch-Tech Engineers defeated the St. Francis Red Raiders, 5-3, in the Large School Division, and the Starpoint Spartans beat the Cheektowaga Warriors, 5-2, in the Small School Division final.

"It was a really good day," said Guido, who was named the Chiefs' Most Valuable Player for the game. "I kept working hard and buried the puck and got chances."

Davis was equally pleased.

"It was a big game and we all worked hard and beat them so it was fun," Davis said.

It was scoreless with fairly even play until Chiefs forward Steve Kaufmann collected a puck that bounced off the rear backboards and stuffed it in the open side of the goal with 6:21 remaining in the first period. Then the roof fell in for the Centaurs Hawks as the Chiefs struck for three more goals in the period.

Matt Fischer, Dan Stenzel, Tom Judasz and Steve Astyk scored the Chiefs' other goals, while Ryan Kaufmann had three assists.

Mike Gough had two goals for the Centaurs Hawks, with another from Connor McGrath.

>Small School Division

Starpoint's win was its second consecutive Super Sunday triumph.

An important factor in the was that the Cheektowaga Warriors were playing with a short bench of around 12 players due to injury. Despite the manpower obstacle the Warriors put in a strong effort.

The Spartans jumped to a 1-0 lead when Dylan Lampka scored from close in with 11:29 left in the opening period. Starpoint goalie Ryan Sullivan made key saves in the middle portion of the period when the Warriors were on a power play.

The Spartans doubled their lead to 2-0 midway through the second period when a puck put into the crease by Spartan forward Steven Pierre-Louis was deflected in off the skate of Warrior defensemen Dakota Herkey.

The Warriors got on the board and got momentum with 4:29 to go in the second when Jordan Jaracz moved in on a rush and unleashed a bullet from the top of the face off circle that slightly deflected off of a Spartan defensemen's skate and found the net to reduce the Spartan lead to 2-1.

Tony Perez, Veikko Mielonen and Kyle Griffin also tallied for the Spartans.

Jordan Jaracz and Jordan Pocobello had the other Warriors' goals.

>Large School Division

Ed Shantler and Tom Skura each scored twice to lift Hutch's Engineers to the victory over the Red Raiders.

The win spoiled the day for both Red Raiders sophomore forward Mike Mendola, who scored twice, as well as that of Red Raiders head coach John Clouden, who announced his retirement prior to Sunday's game.

Hutch-Tech earned its second straight Super Sunday championship in its 22nd overall appearance. It has a 13-9 Super Sunday record.

"I'm really proud to be part of this team," said Shantler, who scored the game-winner. "We have a lot of heart. A lot of people didn't think that we were going to do as good as we did so this is a great feeling."

Hutch-Tech jumped to a 1-0 lead just 62 seconds in when hard forechecking resulted in a rebound goal by Skura, a junior forward. Three minutes later the Red Raiders made it 1-1 when a scramble in front of the Engineers goal resulted in Engineers defenseman Dante Zawadzki accidentally kicking the puck into his own net. The goal was credited to the Red Raiders' Mendola.

Jay Mudra, a 6-foot-1 senior, had Hutch-Tech's other goal.

Michael Benaquist, a freshman, tallied for St. Francis.