Share this article

print logo

Fire crews answer 2 calls in 2 hours

No sooner had Grand Island Fire Company crews spared a Love Road homeowner a significant bill from a faulty electrical outlet than they had to travel three blocks to the 2400 block of Bush Road. Once there, they had to protect homes from a tree that collapsed on a high power line.

Fire company spokesman Ray Pauley said fire crews closed Bush Road to traffic up to Baseline Road until a National Grid crew arrived about 6:30 p.m. He said the road was closed because the power line kept sparking, creating small fires on the tree.

After remaining on the scene at Bush Road for about an hour, the fire company reopened Bush to traffic after National Grid workers dealt with the tree and wire-line problem.

The first call of a possible electrical problem at a 2 1/2 -story frame house at 1607 Love came in just after 4:30 p.m. Minutes later, a fireman who lived in the area reported seeing wind-fed flames shooting out the front of the home.

Pauley said the fire was quickly brought under control, and the house suffered only an estimated $5,000 worth of structural damage because the fire, caused by an electrical outlet that had shorted out, was contained to the front wall of the home.

Just as the fire company was winding down at the Love Road site, calls came in about the Bush Road tree problem.

email: mgryta@buffnews.com