Share this article

print logo



Dead dolphin washes ashore; stranding eyed

NEW YORK (AP) -- Wildlife experts said Tuesday the death of a dolphin that washed ashore in New York City may be linked to a mass stranding off the Cape Cod coast.

The Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation said the remains of the female dolphin calf were found Sunday at Fort Tilden Park off Jamaica Bay, Queens.

The foundation's rescue program coordinator, Kim Durham, told the New York Daily News that it was the same species that has suffered an ongoing mass stranding off Cape Cod since early January.

The cause of death is unknown, but the animal appeared to be malnourished.



Lost hiker found; spent night on Mount Marcy

LAKE PLACID (AP) -- A Saratoga Springs man is recovering after a frigid night on New York's highest peak.

Forest rangers found Stephen Mastaitis, 58, near the top of Mount Marcy at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, according to Dave Winchell of the state Department of Environmental Conservation. Mastaitis was hoisted into a hovering helicopter and flown to Adirondack Medical Center in Saranac Lake, where he was admitted.

Winchell said Mastaitis was conscious but cold after an overnight wind chill of 20 below. He had become separated from hiking companions Monday afternoon when snow and high winds caused whiteout conditions.

His companions talked to a volunteer assistant ranger, who contacted DEC dispatchers.

They called Mastaitis and determined his location through his cellphone.

Winchell said 20 rangers and two State Police helicopters were used in the search and rescue.



Hustler cabbie caught after crash at airport

NEW YORK (AP) -- Police said Tuesday a hustler cabbie who preys on arriving passengers at New York's Kennedy Airport was arrested -- but not before his Lincoln Town Car crashed.

Port Authority Police spokesman Al Della Fave said two officers spotted a family of four getting into a cab. They said they recognized the driver as a hustler who charges sky-high rates for a ride into Manhattan.

Della Fave said the officers tried to warn the passengers, and the family's teenage son put his hand on the steering wheel.

He said the car crashed into a guardrail, and the driver ran.

The driver, Bhupinder Singh, was arrested on charges, including reckless endangerment and resisting arrest.

The mother and father were treated for bumps and bruises.