Share this article

print logo

Missing Indiana girl, 9, found dead

A missing 9-year-old Indiana girl has been found dead, and the family friend who was watching her before she disappeared was charged Monday night with murder, authorities said.

Allen County sheriff's spokesman Cpl. Jeremy Tinkel said investigators found the body of Aliahna Lemmon in the county, but he wouldn't say where. He also said 39-year-old Mike Plumadore was "interviewed by police and taken into custody at 9 p.m. and charged with murder."

Plumadore, who had been watching Aliahna and her sisters before she was reported missing late Friday, is scheduled to appear in court today.

Earlier Monday, FBI agents descended on the rundown mobile home park in Fort Wayne where Aliahna lived. A sheriff's official said a forensics team was sweeping the home looking for evidence such as hairs and fibers.

Across the street more than 100 people gathered at a candlelight vigil and prayed for the girl's safe return.

Monday's renewed search came a day after local police significantly rolled back a coordinated search effort by several law enforcement agencies, said Cpl. Jeremy Tinkel, a department spokesman. He said the same size search could not be sustained Sunday because of the Christmas holiday.

More than 100 emergency workers conducted an extensive search Saturday for Aliahna around the rundown mobile home park. According to a state website, 15 registered sex offenders live at the park that includes about two dozen homes.

Souders, 28, told the Journal Gazette her missing daughter suffered from attention deficit disorder and emotional problems.

Aliahna and her sisters were staying at a family friend's nearby home because their mother had been sick and Aliahna's stepfather works at night and sleeps during the day, the Journal Gazette reported Monday.

Meanwhile, investigators in Waterville, Maine, said a 20-month-old girl who vanished a week before Christmas after being put to bed in her father's home was taken away and didn't walk out on her own. It marked the first time since the search for Ayla Reynolds began that police have said they don't believe she left the house by herself.

A $30,000 reward is being offered for help finding her.