Share this article

print logo


Discrepancies found at thousands of graves

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) -- Thousands of grave markers at Arlington National Cemetery may need to be replaced or added to accurately account for the dead, following a meticulous Army review of each of the nearly 260,000 headstones and niche covers on the grounds.

In a report to Congress on Thursday, the Army found potential discrepancies between headstones and cemetery paperwork on about 64,000 grave markers -- about one in four.

Congress ordered the review last year following reports of misidentified and misplaced graves. The report found no further evidence of misplaced graves, though it cautioned that its review is not complete. There are potentially thousands of minor errors, including misspelled names, or incorrect military ranks and dates of birth and death.

The Army compared information on every headstone to its internal records, scouring handwritten logs of the dead from the Civil War and a hodgepodge of other records. To be sure, many of the 64,000 discrepancies will turn up no problem with a headstone -- it may be as simple as a typo on an internal record.


Nurses, hospital settle lawsuit over abortions

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- Twelve nurses who sued one of the state's largest hospitals after claiming they were forced to assist in abortions over their religious and moral objections reached a deal Thursday with their employer in federal court.

Under the agreement, 12 nurses in the same-day surgery unit of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey can remain in their current positions and not be compelled to assist in any part of an abortion procedure.

The nurses must only help in a life-threatening emergency if no other non-objecting staff members are available and only until which time one can be brought in to relieve them, according to the agreement.

All but four nurses in their unit had signed on to the lawsuit.


Search continues for Waterville girl

WATERVILLE, Maine (AP) -- Investigators put up crime-scene tape around the home of a 20-month-old girl who's been missing since last weekend and two of the state's top homicide prosecutors were called to the house Thursday.

But Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey insisted that Ayla Reynolds' disappearance remains a missing child case, that "everything remains open and we're not discounting anything."

Ayla was living with her father, Justin DiPietro, who reported her missing Saturday morning. DiPietro told police he last saw her when he put her to bed the previous night.

Ayla ended up with her father after child welfare workers intervened while her mother, Trista Reynolds, checked herself into a 10-day rehabilitation program.