Share this article

print logo

POLICE & COURTS

Child porn indictment includes homemade videos

A Dunkirk man faces at least 15 years in prison, and as much as 30 years, if convicted of producing child pornography, one charge of a nine-count indictment handed up by a federal grand jury, U.S. Attorney William J. Hochul Jr. reported Wednesday.

Roger S. "Scotti" Luczkowiak, 31, is accused of producing two videos at his home with a 6-year-old victim as well as other crimes related to child pornography, according to Assistant U.S. Attorney Aaron J. Mango.

Luczkowiak was arrested in August and has remained in custody since his arrest. He's expected to be arraigned on the indictment next Thursday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeremiah J. McCarthy. Besides the prison time, Luczkowiak also faces a $250,000 fine.

In June, Dunkirk police seized a computer from Luczkowiak's residence, and a forensic analysis of the computer found multiple images and videos of child pornography, including the two videos, according to authorities.

The investigation was conducted by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations.

***

Two from Mississauga accused in casino holdup

NIAGARA FALLS, Ont. -- Two Mississauga residents are facing a charge of robbery after the holdup of an elderly woman Tuesday in Fallsview Casino in Niagara Falls, Ont., Niagara Regional Police reported.

Maninder Dhandal and Karan Saini, no ages listed, were quickly identified by authorities and arrested by Peel Regional Police a short time after the incident.

The victim suffered minor injuries as the result of the attack, police said.

***

Ellicott garage fire is ruled accidental

JAMESTOWN -- A fire that damaged a garage in the Town of Ellicott was ruled accidental, Chautauqua County fire investigators reported Wednesday.

Flames broke out Monday night at 1832 E. Main St. Extension in Ellicott. Investigators determined it originated in the west side of the garage section of the building, where the property owner had been using a metal grinder earlier in the evening.

It appears the fire started after sparks from the grinder smoldered and later ignited something -- possibly sawdust, investigators said.

Investigators worked with members of the Falconer Fire Department in determining the cause of the fire. A damage estimate wasn't released.

***

Untaxed cigarettes found during traffic stop

PEMBROKE -- A Rochester area man faces a misdemeanor charge of possessing untaxed cigarettes following a traffic stop earlier this month on Route 77 in Pembroke, Genesee County sheriff's officials reported Wednesday.

Marc A. Crispino, 20, of Chili, was stopped just after midnight Dec. 6 for traffic violations when a sheriff's deputy reported finding more than 800 untaxed cigarettes in Crispino's vehicle.

Crispino was issued traffic summonses and charged with a state tax law violation. He is expected to appear in Pembroke Town Court on Dec. 29.

***

Semi catches fire after tires explode

A tractor-trailer caught fire Wednesday morning in Hamburg after its tires exploded, officials said.

The incident happened shortly after 8 a.m. on Camp Road, near Legion Drive in the town.

The explosion startled nearby residents, but no injuries were reported.

The truck was hauling computer equipment.

***

Deputy struck by car is taken to ECMC

An Erie County sheriff's deputy was taken by ambulance to Erie County Medical Center after he was struck by a car at South Elmwood Avenue and West Eagle Street at about 5 p.m. Wednesday.

The accident occurred after the motorist, headed west on West Eagle and making a left turn onto South Elmwood, apparently failed to see the deputy and struck him.

The deputy was felled by the impact and struck his head on the road. There was no apparent damage to the car.

The deputy, whose name was not immediately available, was being taken to the hospital for evaluation of head and neck pain, according to authorities.

The investigation was continuing by Central District police.

***

Apartment fire displaces 17, but no one is injured

A fire in a unit at the Haskell I. Stovroff Apartments in Cheektowaga on Tuesday night displaced 17 people, but no one was injured, fire and Red Cross officials said.

The fire started at about 7:45 p.m. in a second-floor unit of the apartment complex on Alpine Road, said Chief Leonard Luh of the Pine Hill Hose Company, the primary responder to the two-alarm fire.

All residents evacuated their apartments on their own.

Firefighters put out the fire and shut off the sprinklers, which took longer than expected to drain, causing water damage to several units.

Fire officials said the blaze was likely sparked by careless use of a cigarette.