How they fared
The News football polls are published each Tuesday in the Scholastic Spotlight. Here's how this week's top 10 fared:
1) Orchard Park (8-0) -- beat Niagara-Wheatfield, 55-0. Next week: Niagara Falls.
2) St. Joe's (6-2) -- beat Don Wilson (Ont.), 53-40. Next week: Bishop Timon-St. Jude.
3) Sweet Home (8-0) -- beat West Sen. East, 20-0. Next week: Bennett.
4) St. Francis (5-3) -- beat O'Hara, 63-12. Next week: Canisius.
5) Wmsv. South (8-0) -- beat McKinley, 27-14. Next week: North Tonawanda.
6) Jamestown (7-1) -- beat Lockport, 10-6. Next week: at Kenmore West.
7) North Tonawanda (7-1) -- beat Amherst, 15-13 (OT). Next week: at Williamsville South.
8) Clarence (5-3) -- lost to Niagara Falls, 20-7. Next week: TBA.
9) Kenmore West (7-1) -- beat Lancaster, 29-28 (OT). Next week: Jamestown.
10) Timon-St. Jude (7-1) -- beat Canisius, 42-28. Next week: at St. Joe's.
1) Alden (8-0) -- beat Olean, 42-6. Next week: Pioneer.
2) Depew (7-1) -- beat Lackawanna, 14-0. Next week: at Cheektowaga.
3) Pioneer (8-0) -- beat Eden, 42-0. Next week: at Alden.
4) Fredonia (8-0) -- beat Cassadaga Valley, 42-6. Next week: Southwestern.
5) Cheektowaga (7-1) -- beat Albion, 43-18. Next week: Depew.
6) Maple Grove (7-0) -- Bye. Next week: Portville.
7) Lackawanna (6-2) -- lost to Depew, 14-0. Next week: TBA.
8) Salamanca (6-2) -- lost to Akron, 20-2. Next week: TBA.
9) Cleveland Hill (7-1) -- beat Westfield, 30-6. Next week: Akron.
10) Randolph (5-2) -- Bye. Next week: Frewsburg.
*The upset of the Section VI quarterfinals was scored by Akron, which finished fourth in Class C North but traveled to Salamanca and notched a 20-2 victory over the Class C South champion Warriors.
*Niagara Falls dethroned defending Class AA champion Clarence, 20-7, thanks in large part to Paris Scott (three catches, 104 yards, two touchdowns from Rick Bailey) and Jeff Goldsmith (14 rushes, 108 yards).
*Bishop Timon-St. Jude scored its first victory over a Monsignor Martin Association large school since 2006, defeating Canisius, 42-28.
*Chad Kelly of St. Joe's threw for 438 yards and five touchdowns on 30-of-50 passing while he also had a rushing touchdown.
*Akeel Lynch of St. Francis ran for six touchdowns and 216 yards on 12 carries, all but one in the first half.
*Week Nine is the semifinal round of the Section VI Federation playoffs. Winners advance to the finals Nov. 3-4 at Ralph Wilson Stadium (complete schedule, Page C9).
*The championships of the Chuck Funke Memorial Consolation bowl games will be held Thursday at Southwestern (DD-5 p.m., C-7:30 p.m.), at Pioneer (B-6 p.m.) and at Depew (A-6 p.m., AA-8:30 p.m.).
*The regular season concludes for the Monsignor Martin Association with two matchups on Saturday: Bishop Timon-St. Jude at St. Joe's in the afternoon (2 p.m.) and Canisius is at St. Francis at night (7:30 p.m.).
Every week, buffalonews.com's PrepTalkTV puts all of the action in perspective. In the Week Eight episode, Keith McShea takes a look at an eventful first round of the Section VI playoffs as well as Bishop Timon-St. Jude's big win.