Share this article

print logo

Doctor hid Jackson's poor health, witnesses say

Prosecution witnesses testified Wednesday that Michael Jackson's personal physician covered up the pop star's health both before and after his death, misleading concert promoters and his entourage.

Dr. Conrad Murray assured promoters that Jackson was in perfect health when in fact he was dependent on nightly doses of a dangerous surgical anesthetic to sleep, witnesses said.

Jackson's personal assistant told jurors that when the singer stopped breathing on June 25, 2009, Murray called him to say that he had had a "bad reaction."

The assistant also said Murray did not ask him to call 911.

The series of witnesses on the second day of testimony offered glimpses into the doctor's behavior during the two months he injected Jackson with propofol night after night and during the moments after he found the pop star unresponsive.

Prosecutors allege the doctor had his hefty paycheck, and not his patient's best interests, in mind.

While he was painting a rosy picture of Jackson's health, the doctor was focused on the lucrative terms under which he was to care for Jackson during his London tour, a witness said.

AEG Live attorney Kathy Jorrie recounted how in the last days of Jackson's life, Murray repeatedly asked for revisions to his $150,000-a-month contract, including a provision that he not be required to return any portion of his monthly salary if Jackson were to change his mind or if the tour were canceled.

Murray repeatedly volunteered that Jackson was in "excellent condition" and described in glowing terms how well the singer was doing in rehearsals, she testified.

In reality, prosecutors allege, Murray had been well aware of Jackson's drug-addled state as early as six weeks before his death. On Monday they played a recording from the doctor's phone of the singer sounding drugged and slurring his words.

The deception continued in the moments when Murray apparently realized his famed patient had stopped breathing, Michael Amir Williams, the singer's personal assistant testified. The panicked first call Murray placed downplayed what was happening to Jackson, the assistant said in his testimony.

"When I heard 'bad reaction,' I didn't think anything fatal, personally, and I wasn't asked to call 911," Williams said.

After Jackson arrived at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center and was pronounced dead, Murray was preoccupied with getting back to the house to retrieve "some cream" he said "Michael wouldn't want to the world to know about," Williams testified.