How they fared
The News football polls are published each Tuesday in the Scholastic Spotlight. Here's how this week's top 10 fared:
1) Orchard Park (4-0) -- beat Frontier, 48-14. Next week: Clarence.
2) Clarence (4-0) -- beat Lancaster, 20-0. Next week: at Orchard Park.
3) Sweet Home (4-0) -- beat Starpoint, 22-14. Next week: at Kenmore East.
4) St. Joe's (3-1) -- beat Central Mountain (Pa.), 61-28. Next week: at St. Francis.
5) St. Francis (3-1) -- beat Fairview, 43-7. Next week: St. Joe's.
6) Wmsv. South (4-0) -- beat Iroquois, 21-6. Next week: W.S. East.
7) Lancaster (3-1) -- lost to Clarence, 20-0. Next week: at Jamestown.
8) Canisius (2-2) -- lost to Cathedral Prep, 58-28. Next week: Walsh Jesuit (Ohio).
9) Amherst (3-1) -- lost to South Park, 16-3. Next week: Hamburg.
10) McKinley (3-1) -- beat Wmsv. North, 21-7. Next week: at Starpoint.
1) Alden (4-0) -- beat Albion, 40-14. Next week: at Depew.
2) Depew (4-0) -- beat East, 35-14. Next week: Alden.
3) Southwestern (3-1) -- lost to Salamanca, 21-10. Next week: at Cass. Valley.
4) Pioneer (4-0) -- beat Dunkirk, 13-7. Next week: at Eden.
5) Cleveland Hill (4-0) -- beat Wilson, 62-28. Next week: Fredonia.
6) Randolph (4-0) -- beat Portville, 46-12. Next week: Maple Grove.
7) Fredonia (4-0) -- beat Gowanda, 37-28. Next week: at Cleveland Hill.
8) Cheektowaga (3-1) -- beat Tonawanda, 43-6. Next week: at St. Mary's.
9) Maple Grove (4-0) -- beat Silver Creek, 34-14. Next week: at Randolph.
10) Lackawanna (3-1) -- beat Maryvale, 33-14. Next week: East Aurora.
*Dylan Van Volkenberg had an interception with two minutes left to seal South Park's 16-3 win over previously undefeated and No. 9 large school Amherst.
*Salamanca beat Southwestern, 21-10, the No. 3 small school's first regular-season loss since October 2007.
*St. Mary's won at Cardinal O'Hara, 28-6, for its first victory over the Hawks in seven years.
*Justin Patterson ran for 301 yards and three TDs on 25 attempts as No. 1 small school Alden beat Albion, 40-14.
*Martin Bailey tied the school record for most TDs in a game with five as Kenmore West beat Niagara Falls, 49-31. Bailey finished with 219 yards on 21 carries.
*Okoya Anderson had a 90-yard kickoff return among his four TDs as No. 1 large school Orchard Park routed Frontier, 48-14.
*Michael Gelz ran for 211 yards and two touchdowns on 24 carries to lift No. 2 large school Clarence to a 20-0 win over Lancaster.
Week Five is full of major matchups:
The marquee game of Friday night has No. 1 small school Alden visiting No. 2 Depew in a B East showdown at 7:30 p.m.
Two of the state's best teams in Class D meet as Randolph hosts Maple Grove at 7:30 p.m. Friday.
What could be called "Super Saturday" features two outstanding large-school collisions. At noon, Orchard Park's homecoming guest is fellow AA South unbeaten Clarence, which beat OP in last year's Section VI Class AA title game. At 7 p.m., a game just as large in the Monsignor Martin Association has St. Joe's at St. Francis.
First place in Class AA North is up for grabs when Kenmore West is at Lockport on Saturday at 2 p.m. Other top matchups: Lancaster at Jamestown in AA South (Friday, 7:30) and Fredonia at Cleveland Hill in Class C North (Saturday, 2 p.m.).
Every week, buffalonews.com's PrepTalkTV puts all of the action in perspective. In the Week Four episode, Keith McShea and Lauren Mariacher have highlights and interviews from big wins for Sweet Home, St. Mary's, Depew, Alden, Clarence, St. Francis, Williamsville South and Cheektowaga.
On the Web
Go to buffalonews.com/highschools for:
*PrepTalkTV's Plays of the Weekend -- each Monday, watch the highlights, then vote for your favorite.
*PrepTalk Live, our new weekend feature which chronicles the weekend football action minute-by-minute with several videos, pictures, a scoreboard and a running blog of each day's action. Review both days at buffalonews.com/ptlive.