Share this article

print logo


Man, sons expected to recover after blast

DETROIT (AP) -- A woman whose husband and two sons were injured when their car was destroyed by a bomb says all three of her family members are doing well and expected to fully recover, the principal of the boys' school said.

In a letter posted Wednesday on the St. Michael the Archangel School website, Principal Michelle Sontag said she has spoken twice to Maureen Chappell since the explosion on a Monroe street that injured Chappell's husband and sons, who are students at the school.

Chappell said her husband, Erik, and sons are "in good spirits" and expected to fully recover.

Investigators haven't determined if Erik Chappell, who is a lawyer, or one of his family members was the intended target of the attack.


Dugard files suit over captor's parole

MENLO PARK, Calif. (AP) -- Jaycee Dugard sued the federal government Thursday for failing to monitor the convicted sex offender who kidnapped her and held her captive for 18 years.

The complaint, filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco, said the mistakes by federal parole officers in the handling of Phillip Garrido's case are as "outrageous and inexcusable as they are numerous."

Had federal parole officers done their jobs, Dugard's lawyers allege, Dugard and her daughters would not have had to endure their years of captivity in a ramshackle compound tucked inside Garrido's Antioch backyard.

Garrido, who was convicted in 1977 of raping and kidnapping a 25-year-old woman, was on parole and under federal supervision when he kidnapped Dugard in 1991. He fathered Dugard's two children while he and his wife, Nancy, held her captive.


Cub who wandered into store is killed

RATON, N.M. (AP) -- New Mexico officials killed a baby bear this week after she strolled into a Raton hardware store and startled residents.

KOAT-TV reported that state game and fish officials killed the cub following her surprise visit to Record's Hardware Store. It's not clear how it was killed.

A surveillance video caught the 1-year-old cub running through a busy part of town in broad daylight and walking in the store's main door.

The bear bolted out of the store and took refuge in a nearby backyard.

Game and fish officials said the situation could have turned dangerous, but no injuries were reported.