Share this article

print logo

Burglar who beat victim is convicted; Jury acquits him of attempted murder

A Buffalo man accused of beating an elderly Blasdell resident who interrupted a burglary faces 32 years in prison after a jury convicted him of six counts from that incident and an earlier burglary attempt in Buffalo.

The jury found Albert Jackson, 19, of Pembroke Avenue, guilty of burglary and robbery charges but acquitted him of attempted murder and assault charges.

Jackson is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 28, said prosecutor Brian P. McNamara.

"It really is every homeowner's nightmare," said Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III.

"It's very rare we see a residential burglary when someone is home, and rarer still when there's a confrontation and the homeowner is injured," Sedita said.

Sedita said he would recommend the maximum jail sentence.

Frank M. Bogulski, Jackson's lawyer, said, "Obviously, we were pleased the most serious charges were dismissed by the jury."

The jury late Monday convicted Jackson on charges from both the Buffalo and Blasdell incidents.

Jackson was found guilty of second-degree attempted burglary and possessing burglar's tools for trying burglarize a home on Wood Avenue, near Walden Park, where an 84-year-old man lived. A neighbor who spotted Jackson alerted police.

The resident wasn't home when police arrested Jackson at gunpoint on the front porch.

After Jackson was released on bail for that incident, Jackson was caught trying to burglarize the Blasdell home.

The owner of the home, 71 at the time, was returning home from an afternoon trip to the store when he noticed a cooler from his garage outside. That prompted him to investigate.

When he went into the garage, he was immediately attacked.

"He was standing right behind the door with a knife [from my garage]," Francis M. Bartolomeo, the homeowner, told The Buffalo News shortly after the Nov. 17 attack.

"He came at me and caught me off guard. I just covered myself. That's why I got the cuts on the backs of my hands," he said.

Jackson fled in Bartolomeo's car.

Minutes later, Bartolomeo called police.

About eight hours later, police chased Jackson at high speeds and he eventually crashed outside Coca-Cola Field in downtown Buffalo.

After a two-week trial, jurors convicted Jackson of second-degree robbery, first-degree burglary, reckless endangerment and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle for the Blasdell incident.

Jurors, who deliberated four and a half hours, cleared him of second-degree attempted murder, first-degree robbery, first-degree burglary and second-degree assault charges.