Share this article

print logo


Hit-run-accident leads to DWI charge after game

A hit-and-run accident Sunday near Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park following the Buffalo Bills' victory led to the arrest of a 45-year-old Amherst man on a felony charge of driving while intoxicated with a child in the vehicle.

Orchard Park police received a call of a hit-and-run crash around 5:15 p.m. with the fleeing vehicle seen heading east on Southwestern Boulevard. No one was injured in the crash, which was described as a minor accident between two vehicles.

Timothy J. Struble was arrested at the intersection of Southwestern Boulevard and Orchard Park Road, police said.

He had a blood-alcohol content more than 0.20, police said. The legal limit is 0.08 percent.

Struble, who had attended the football game, was charged with aggravated driving while intoxicated and with violating Leandra's Law, which makes driving while intoxicated a felony charge if a child under the age of 16 is in the vehicle at the time. A 14-year-old girl was in Struble's car, along with another minor over age 16, police said.


Liquid drain cleaner thrown at woman, burning her

A Stevenson Street woman suffered burns to her face and chest Sunday afternoon when an ex-boyfriend allegedly threw liquid drain cleaner at her.

Buffalo police were investigating the case as a second-degree assault, according to a police report.

The woman said she opened the back door to let her dog out at about 3:40 p.m. when the suspect threw the chlorine-based liquid into her face and on her chest.

The woman was treated in Erie County Medical Center.

She told police the ex-boyfriend has been stalking her for several weeks.


Driving with high beams leads to DWI charge

A Florida man pulled over by state police for failing to dim the high beams on a sport utility vehicle early Sunday was charged with driving while intoxicated.

The traffic stop occurred at 4:22 a.m. on South Abbott Road in the Town of Hamburg.

Troopers said Matt C. Sliwinski, 41, of New Port Richey, Fla., failed to dim the high beams on a Toyota 4 Runner for a vehicle approaching in the opposite direction.

Sliwinski failed field sobriety tests and was arrested, troopers said.

His blood-alcohol content was found to be 0.20 percent, resulting in an aggravated DWI charge. A reading of 0.08 constitutes drunken driving in New York. A reading of 0.18 or more is considered aggravated DWI, which carries heftier penalties.


Fare robs cab driver of $50, cellphone

A female cab driver reported being robbed at gunpoint early Sunday morning by the passenger she dropped off at 18th and Hampshire streets on the West Side.

The taxi operator picked up the passenger at about 1 a.m. on Mary B. Talbert Drive. When the passenger reached his destination, he displayed a black, long-barrel pistol and took $50 and a cellphone from the driver, before fleeing east through an 18th Street yard, police said.


Two robbery suspects charged in two more

Two teenagers arrested Friday night for allegedly robbing a man at gunpoint in Martin Luther King Park were charged in two more robberies committed a week earlier on Best Street, police said.

Frank Navaroli, 19, and Diondre Brown, 16, were charged with multiple counts of second-degree robbery.

Police said they robbed a 21-year-old woman and a 29-year-old man of their cellphones in separate incidents Sept. 9 on Best Street.

Then they were charged with robbing a man in the park Friday. They allegedly took the victim's bookbag, which contained his cellphone and charger, glasses and a Bible.


Armed robbers take safe with $8,000, jewelry

A Clinton-Bailey neighborhood man told South District police he was going into his home on Baitz Avenue at about 3 a.m. when two men armed with a handgun came up behind him. They forced the victim into his home and took a portable safe, which contained $8,000 in cash, jewelry and papers, police said.


Three attackers punch man in face, then run

A man told police he was approached between 2:30 and 3:30 a.m. Sunday by three males on Main and Custer streets, in the city's University Heights neighborhood. One of them asked if he had change for a $5, according to police.

The three then started to punch the victim in the face, then ran away, according to police, who said it was unclear if they stole anything. The victim was treated in Kenmore Mercy Hospital, Town of Tonawanda.


Store in Riverside robbed at gunpoint

A Riverside store was held up at gunpoint Friday afternoon by two men, police said. The thieves entered the store at 744 Tonawanda St. shortly after 4 p.m., forced an employee to open a cash register drawer, then fled with some cash, police said.