Share this article

print logo

AROUND THE WORLD

Rebels won't deport Lockerbie bomber

TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) -- The Libyan rebel government will not deport the man convicted of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing, its justice minister said Sunday.

New York senators on Aug. 22 asked the Libyan transitional government to hold Abdel-Baset al-Megrahi fully accountable for the bombing of Pan Am flight 103, which killed 270 people.

But the transitional government Justice Minister Mohammed al-Alagi told journalists in Tripoli that the request by American senators had "no meaning" because al-Megrahi had already been tried and convicted.

The Scottish government released al-Megrahi in 2009, believing he would soon die of cancer. He was greeted as a hero in his native Libya and met with Gadhafi.

***

Bodies of 5 people found in mass grave

MEXICO CITY (AP) -- Mexican police have unearthed the decomposed bodies of five people in a farming town about 60 miles from the capital.

Mexico state attorney general's spokesman Alfredo Albiter says an unidentified man called a relative of a missing person and said 23 bodies were buried in a maize field of Almoloya de Juarez.

Albiter says excavation ended Sunday and the forensics team found only five bodies. He says the bodies haven't yet been identified and he doesn't know if the body of the missing person was in the grave.

Mass graves have become an increasingly common discovery in Mexico's brutal drug war, which has claimed more than 35,000 lives since President Felipe Calderon launched an offensive against drug traffickers in late 2006.

***

Al-Qaida takes credit for attack killing 18

ALGIERS, Algeria (AP) -- Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb claimed responsibility Sunday for the attack on a military academy in Algeria that killed at least 18 people including 16 officers in training.

Al-Qaida's North African wing said in a statement posted online that two suicide bombers carried out Friday's attack on the Cherchell military academy, 110 miles west of the capital, Algiers.

The defense ministry says the attack killed 16 officers and two civilians, and wounded 26 others. AQIM says it killed 36 officers and wounded 35.

The attacks began Friday evening when a bomb exploded just outside the military academy. Soldiers dining at a restaurant -- which was within the base but near its perimeter -- raced from their tables to see what had happened, according to security officials.

As a crowd gathered, a suicide bomber with explosives strapped to his body drove his motorcycle at them, the officials said.

***

Facebook picture stirs investigation

JOHANNESBURG (AP) -- South African police are investigating an image posted on Facebook of a white man with a hunting rifle and a big grin kneeling in a classic hunter's pose over his "prey" -- what appears to be the lifeless body of a black boy.

The picture was published on the front page of South Africa's Sunday Times along with a police plea for the man in the picture or anyone who recognizes him to help their investigation.

It is not clear if the picture is authentic, or whether it has been digitally manipulated. Also unknown is the fate of the child.