Share this article

print logo


Gunmen abduct son of murdered politician

LAHORE, Pakistan (AP) -- Gunmen abducted the son of a liberal Pakistani politician who was murdered by an Islamist extremist earlier this year, police said Friday.

Shahbaz Taseer was taken from his car in Lahore, police said.

Shaheryar Taseer, Shahbaz's brother, said the family had been receiving threats from militants. "It seems they are behind it," he said.

Their father, Punjab governor Salman Taseer, was gunned down by one of his guards in January. The guard confessed and said he carried out the killing because of Taseer's opposition to laws that carry the death penalty for blaspheming Islam.

Members of the Taseer family have continued to speak out against extremism since Salman Taseer's death.

The government had provided guards to Taseer's family, including to Shahbaz, but on Friday he was traveling in his private car without security, authorities said.

On Aug. 15, gunmen seized Warren Weinstein, 70, an American aid expert, from his house in Lahore. He is still missing.


President agrees to talk with protesters

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) -- After three months of mass protests, President Sebastian Pinera agreed Friday to negotiate with students and teachers demanding more state funding for education and major changes in government.

Pinera called for talks following a two-day nationwide strike called by the country's largest union. The strike turned into a huge protest against his 18-month-old government.

Most marchers were peaceful but scattered violence marred the protests, and a 16-year-old boy was shot to death early Friday, allegedly by a police bullet, as officers responded to looting.

"After more than three months in which we've seen violence and conflict flourish, now is the time for peace, the time for unity, the time for dialogue, the time for agreements," Pinera said.

Pinera had avoided talking directly with protesting students or openly considering their demands before sending his 21-point package of education proposals to Congress.


Police were told killer bought bomb supplies

OSLO, Norway (AP) -- Four months before Anders Behring Breivik went on his killing rampage in Norway, a global operation that monitors trading in bomb-making materials told the nation's police that he had bought chemicals from a Polish company, a customs official said Friday. But police did not act on the information.

On July 22, Breivik killed 77 people in a bombing in Norway's capital and a shooting rampage on a nearby island. He has confessed to the killings.

Geir Hoiseth, who heads the border control department of Norway's customs agency, said Breivik's name came up as a result of the Global Shield program, a U.S. initiative, after he bought chemicals from a Polish firm.

Hoiseth said customs officials passed the information to Norway's security police, PST, in March. PST confirmed it was alerted to Breivik's purchase of chemicals from the company but said the transaction was legal and there wasn't enough information to warrant further investigation.

Hoiseth declined to give more details except to say that customs officials "simply suspected that he could be involved in a suspicious shipment, and was on a list of more than 60 other people."