Share this article

print logo

Shooting of 19-year-old has yet to turn up suspects; Police say incident may be one of revenge

Bullets that shattered the basement window of a Walnut Avenue home wounded one man Thursday night, in what police think might be a revenge shooting.

However, Capt. William Thomson, chief of detectives, said Friday that police have no suspects in the shooting of Christopher W. Cessna-Carter, 19, of North Avenue.

Cessna-Carter was shot once in the abdomen at about 9:05 p.m. as he was waiting for a haircut in the basement of 1919 Walnut Ave.

"No suspects. We don't even have anybody who saw the suspect," Thomson said.

The only lead, which Thomson admitted isn't much, is that a woman in the neighborhood heard shots and saw a shadowy figure running across a backyard.

Thomson asked anyone who has information about the case to call the detective bureau at 286-4553.

Thomson said Cessna-Carter was waiting for a haircut with about five other men when a gunman fired five shots through the window.

Cessna-Carter was the only person wounded, although one of the other men suffered a minor cut on the forehead. It wasn't clear if he was struck by flying glass or banged his head on the ductwork in the basement.

"I guess it was pretty panicky," Thomson said.

Cessna-Carter was transferred from Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center to Erie County Medical Center, where he was listed in fair condition Friday.

Thomson said officers have talked to the shooting victim, and Cessna-Carter said he didn't know who might have wanted to shoot him.

However, Cessna-Carter was arrested July 9 on a gun possession charge, a few days after having been shot in the leg.

Police had information that Cessna-Carter might have been carrying a gun in his car that night. They reported that Cessna-Carter sped off after police tried to stop him for not wearing a seat belt at 13th Street and North Avenue.

Officers observed Cessna-Carter holding a .38-caliber handgun in one hand as he drove. The chase, which reached speeds of 60 mph, ended when Cessna-Carter lost control rounding a corner onto 24th Street and crashed his car into a tree.

Thomson said last weekend, Cessna-Carter was questioned in regard to a report of a man on a bicycle with a gun on Centre Court.

In the latter incident, Cessna-Carter was unarmed when officers arrived on the scene, but they found a loaded .38-caliber handgun in a bush. Thomson said lab tests are being conducted to see if Cessna-Carter can be tied to that gun, but he has not been charged so far.

Thomson said there's a possibility that Thursday's shooting might be connected to those other incidents in some fashion, perhaps with some kind of revenge in mind.