Share this article

print logo


Man jumps into car, beats and robs woman

A Cheektowaga woman reported being beaten and robbed by an unknown man who jumped into her car early Sunday near Kilhoffer and Genesee streets.

The woman suffered a black eye and cut to her forehead and was treated at Sisters of Charity Hospital, St. Joseph Campus, according to a police report.

A cellphone, diamond ring, $13 and nine packs of cigarettes were taken during the attack, which occurred between 2 and 4 a.m., the woman told police.


Police charge woman with setting bed on fire

Buffalo police charged a Heward Avenue woman with arson after she allegedly started her bed on fire Sunday morning.

Firefighters responded shortly before 11 a.m. to a report of smoke and fire inside a second-floor bedroom at 25 Heward Ave. Damage was estimated at $15,000.

Police arrested Michelle Hooker, who lives at 25 Heward, about three hours later on Elmwood Avenue.


Two wounded by gunfire in flea market robbery

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. -- Two people were wounded, one seriously, and a man was arrested for a shooting shortly before 3:30 p.m. Sunday during an armed robbery at the St. Catharines Flea Market, 46 Turner Crescent. About 200 people were at the indoor market at the time, Niagara Regional Police report.

One man was hospitalized with serious, but non-life threatening injuries, police said. The other was treated and released. Their names were not given.

Police said several people at the market subdued a man believed to be involved in the shooting and held him for authorities. He remained in custody Sunday evening.

Investigators believe that at least two men were involved in the robbery. They said the robbers smashed a vendor's display cases in an attempt to take merchandise and pointed a gun at onlookers.

One man who tried to disarm the gunman was shot, police said, but other bystanders helped subdue the suspect. A second man apparently was struck by bullet fragments.


Loss estimated at $115,000 in Loring Avenue fire

Buffalo firefighters were called to a blaze at a home near Sisters Hospital early Sunday morning. The fire, at 250 Loring Ave., was reported at 3:08 a.m., the Fire Department said.

The 2 1/2 -story home was occupied when the blaze began. No injuries were reported. Damage was estimated at about $115,000. The cause of the blaze is under investigation.


Electronics, jewelry taken from apartment at gunpoint

A burglar displayed a handgun while taking electronics and jewelry from a Delaware Avenue apartment early Sunday morning.

The incident happened in a home between Hertel and Tacoma avenues at about 2:10 a.m., according to a Buffalo police report.

A laptop and desktop computer, a PlayStation 3 and about $500 in jewelry were taken, police said. The burglar fled in a silver or gray Jeep Grand Cherokee, the report said.


Arson listed as vacant home on Northampton burns

The Buffalo Fire Department says a blaze at a vacant home on Northampton Street that began early Sunday morning was deliberately set.

Firefighters were called to the fire at 94 Northampton, at the corner of Holland Place between Main Street and Michigan Avenue, at 1:24 a.m.

The 2 1/2 -story home sustained an estimated $50,000 damage, the Fire Department said. There were no injuries reported.


Sixth person defrauded in property sale scam

NIAGARA FALLS -- A realtor told a city man that he was the sixth person defrauded recently in a scam involving a property for sale on Sy Road in the Town of Wheatfield.

The victim told police he had responded to a newspaper advertisement about the property and was told to wire $1,650 to cover the security deposit and the first month's rent for the home. He was to receive the keys to the property in the mail.

The money was to have gone to a Georgia woman but was picked up in Pennsylvania, the victim was told. When he did not receive the keys, he drove to the property, found a "for sale" sign on it and learned of the apparent scam upon contacting the realtor listing the property.


Man, 27, hospitalized after fall into gorge

NIAGARA FALLS, Ont. -- A London, Ont., man was hospitalized and faces charges after he fell 30 feet into the Niagara Gorge Sunday morning.

The 27-year-old man, whose name was not released, suffered a serious leg fracture and head trauma after falling into the gorge at about 5:44 a.m., according to Niagara Parks Police.

The man was with friends at the time and went into the gorge to get a better view of the Niagara River, police said. The fall happened just north of the Rainbow Bridge.