If you have been running in races lately, the calendar offers few excuses. This might be the busiest time of the year when it comes to night-time running, especially during the week. That usually stops as soon as school goes back into session, with the exception of Friday nights. So the odds are pretty good that there is a race right around your proverbial corner.
It's a typical weekend around town, with the schedule provided by buffalorunners.com:
* Cozumel 5K, 153 Elmwood Ave. in Buffalo, 7 p.m. Friday, 913-7115. This used to be a big part of the local running scene, but it disappeared for a while. So, it's nice to see this race back on the schedule.
* Jason Raby Memorial 5K, Lew-Port High School in Youngstown, 7 p.m. Friday, 754-8281.
* Erie County Fair 5K, Fairgrounds in Hamburg, 9 a.m. Saturday, 649-3900. This race also took a bit of a break, so it's nice to have it back. It's great fun to finish on the surface of the horse racing track.
* Cameron Run 5K, Point Gratiot in Dunkirk, 9:30 a.m. Saturday, 366-9283.
* One Small Step for Prader-Willi Syndrome 5K, 10 a.m. Sunday, Chestnut Ridge Park in Orchard Park, 316-9344.
--- Budd Bailey