Share this article

print logo

POLICE & COURTS

Guilty plea entered in bid to re-enter U.S.

A Nigerian man Tuesday pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court to attempting to re-enter the United States after he was deported following his conviction on an aggravated felony charge.

Segun Adewale Adeonigbagbe, 46, faces a maximum of 20 years in prison, a fine of $250,000, or both, when sentenced at 9 a.m. Nov. 21 before U.S. District Judge William M. Skretny. On March 11, Adeonigbagbe applied for entry to the U.S. at the Peace Bridge, but he had been convicted of presenting forged documents and deported in 1999.

***

One of four charges dismissed against Buckley

One of the four misdemeanor charges against community activist Nate Buckley was dismissed by Buffalo City Judge Joseph A. Fiorella on Tuesday, but he and co-defendants Jason A. Wilson and Elliot Zyglis still face trial on other charges for an April 8 antiwar rally at Fountain Plaza.

The judge, in a ruling disputed by the chief prosecutor in the case, dismissed a disorderly conduct charge against Buckley, 26, of Massachusetts Avenue, holding that he was actually on private bank property rather than the law-required public property when ordered to leave.

The judge denied defense motions to dismiss the trespass charges still pending against Wilson, 24, of Summer Street; and Elliot Zyglis, 27, of Amherst Street. He ordered pretrial hearings for all three defendants to begin Sept. 19.

The three community activists all declined to comment after the brief court session, but Susan H. Sadinsky, chief of the District Attorney's City Court Bureau, said she will confer with Sedita about a possible appeal of the Fiorella's dismissal order.

***

Probe intensifies in theft of $100,000 in equipment

The theft of an estimated $100,000 in photography equipment from a Buffalo company that takes high school student portraits remained under investigation Tuesday, according to police.

Digital cameras and other equipment were stolen from Edge Imaging on the 2600 block of Delaware Avenue at some point between Friday and Monday morning, according to Northwest District police.

A spokesman for the company said Tuesday that the stolen property might soon be returned but could not comment further on the situation.

***

Persistent thief dogs East Side collision shop

A crook keeps returning to an East Side collision repair shop and stealing, according to the owner.

The most brazen act occurred Sunday night, when the thief sledgehammered his way into the business on the 200 block of Leslie Street and stole about $12,000 in equipment, according to Northeast District police. Martin Neureuther, the owner, told police the forced entry caused more than $1,500 damage to a rear brick wall of the business. Two paint spray guns, an auto alarm system and two automobile diagnostic scanners were taken, police said.

Monday night, the thief apparently returned and used a hammer to break down a temporary enclosure covering the hole in the brick wall, Neureuther said. As the crook was leaving with an estimated $3,000 in tools, he said, a police officer arrived, responding to a burglar alarm, and the individual fled without the tools.

***

Contraband bust may lead extended stay in prison

Samuel "Sammy" Chandler, a Bronx robber who would have been released from prison in early April for a violent stickup there in the late 1990s, faces up to another seven years behind bars for trying to have drugs and a scalpel delivered to him at the state's Wende Correctional Facility last summer.

Chandler, 35, denied during a weeklong trial that he had made telephone calls from prison, setting up the illegal shipment. But a jury of 10 women and two men Monday found him guilty of felony promoting prison contraband. Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 12.

Prosecutors John P. Feroleto and Jaharr S. Pridgen said they will urge Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III to recommend the judge impose the maximum seven-year prison term.

Chandler, who faces a minimum two to four more years behind bars on the new conviction, took the stand last week and insisted it was not his voice on recorded prison phone calls that the jury heard as the contraband shipment was planned last year. Prosecution witness Lisa Bhikoo 20, of the Bronx, last week told the jury she was arrested trying to sneak the contraband into the Alden prison at about 10 a.m. June 13, 2010. Five bags of heroin and two bags of marijuana and a scalpel were found under her clothing.

***

Firefighter burned while battling blaze

A Buffalo firefighter suffered second-degree burns late Tuesday morning at a house fire in the 100 block of Westminster Avenue, fire officials said.

The $100,000 fire left seven adults and four children homeless and in need of assistance from the Red Cross. A cause for the blaze, which apparently started in the attic of the 2 1/2 -story, wood-frame house, remains under investigation, the officials said. The firefighter was transported to ECMC.

There are no comments - be the first to comment