Share this article

print logo

Paterno takes a hit in practice

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Joe Paterno was hospitalized and undergoing tests on his right arm and hip after a player ran into the 84-year-old coach during practice.

Paterno was admitted Sunday evening to Mount Nittany Medical Center after he walked away from the collision with a receiver, the school said Monday. Receiver Devon Smith was running a drill when he blindsided the Hall of Fame coach.

"I expect to be back at practice soon," Paterno said in a statement. "I'm doing fine; tell everyone not to worry about me."

Dr. Wayne Sebastianelli, Penn State director of athletic medicine, said it doesn't appear surgery will be required. The school said Paterno could be released in the next 24 hours.

Paterno conducted Monday morning's coaches meeting by phone from the hospital, according to Penn State. Assistant coaches will be running practice while Paterno is gone and it was unclear how long that would be, athletic department spokesman Jeff Nelson said in an email.

Practice resumed Monday as scheduled, with the team in full pads for the first time this summer. Football media day, originally scheduled for Thursday, was postponed.

Paterno is entering his 46th season as Penn State's head coach and is the winningest coach in the history of major college football with 401 victories.

Speculation about when and if he will retire is a constant around Happy Valley, though Paterno himself generally dismisses the topic. But when health issues come up, the chatter seems to intensify.

Paterno's health has been a frequent issue in recent seasons.

In 2006, he broke his leg in a sideline collision during Penn State's game against Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium. A hip injury forced him to spend much of the 2008 season coaching from a seat near the press box, where the offensive coordinator usually sets up. He had hip surgery after that season.

During the 2010 offseason, Paterno had to scale back his personal appearances because an intestinal issue and an adverse reaction to antibiotics prescribed for dental work. He also cut back on in-season obligations and taped segments instead of appearing live on a weekly radio show.

But as the 2010 season went on, Paterno's health seemed to be improving. And at the recent Big Ten media days in Chicago, Paterno said he was feeling great and he looked and sounded better than he had at the same event a year earlier.

Paterno signed a three-year contract extension in late 2008 that runs out after this season, but Paterno's status at Penn State hardly seems reliant on a contract these days. Penn State has no public plans in place to shift leadership of the program.

Elsewhere around the Big Ten, new coaches took over at rivals Michigan and Ohio State.

New Michigan coach Brady Hoke says there was a lot to dislike in his first preseason practice with the Wolverines. Hoke identified about 15 things he wanted done better, adding he's hard to please because he wants the best.

Rich Rodriguez's replacement has generated a lot of excitement. Hoke, though, says he knows there's a lot of work that has to be done to match the hype when it matters.

Michigan's biggest problems are in the kicking game and on defense.

Hoke says freshman Matt Mile may kick and punt, filling in for suspended punter Will Hagerup. He will miss the first four games for violating unspecified rules.

Luke Fickell, meanwhile, had difficulty sleeping he was so wired about his first official practice as Ohio State's interim head coach.

"It's been a long time coming I guess you could say -- a couple of months," he said after Monday's workout. "The biggest thing was the excitement that at about 2:30 in the morning you're ready to go. Hopefully a bunch of guys felt that way."

But he also knows it's just another mile marker on what will likely be a long, strange journey for the Buckeyes this season.

More than eight months after a memorabilia-for-cash scandal rocked the program, and several weeks after 10-year coach Jim Tressel's forced resignation and Ohio State's self-imposed sanctions, the Buckeyes finally got back to playing football Monday.

There are no comments - be the first to comment