Share this article

print logo

POLICE & COURTS

State police defuse standoff with armed man

BATAVIA -- State police were able to end a standoff with an armed suicidal man peacefully Thursday, officials said.

Troopers and deputies with the Genesee County Sheriff's Office were sent to an address on Pratt Road following reports of a suicidal man with a gun.

They established a perimeter around the house while State Police Investigator Leo Hunter, a crisis negotiator, talked with the man.

The man, identified as Mark Hanel of Bergen, put down his gun and was taken to a medical facility for a mental health evaluation.

***

Woman pleads guilty in remark about choking

A Town of Tonawanda woman pleaded guilty Friday to endangering the welfare of an incompetent person for trying to stop someone from performing the Heimlich maneuver on her 43-year-old son in a Niagara Falls Boulevard restaurant.

Rolaine Foigelman, 68, of Montrose Avenue, pleaded guilty as charged before Amherst Town Justice Geoffrey Klein to the highest charge she faced for the incident June 18 in the Boulevard Family Restaurant.

Foigelman faces a possible one-year jail term when she returns for sentencing Oct. 12.

Witnesses said she yelled, "Leave him alone. Let him die," while her developmentally disabled son was choking and a person was trying to assist him. She also was accused of trying to grab the phone from a restaurant employee calling 911.

Her son had recovered by the time police arrived.

***

Man targeted by bandits on Windermere Boulevard

Two bandits attempted to rob a man on Windermere Boulevard in Eggertsville around 9:45 p.m. Thursday, Amherst police said.

The victim was approached by a man who appeared to have the handle of a handgun sticking out of his pocket, police said. An accomplice was nearby, police added.

Both fled north on Windermere without taking anything, police said.

Anyone with information about the incident should contact the Amherst Police Department at 689-1311.

***

Albion woman, 52, dies during fire in apartment

An Albion woman lost her life in a fire that ripped through her apartment Thursday night.

The victim was identified as Gloria Robinson, 52. She had been living alone at the time. The blaze, reported about 8:15 p.m., began in the second-floor apartment of the home at 222 W. State St., authorities said. A second tenant escaped unharmed.

Robinson, who was found unconscious on a bathroom floor, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

***

Boy shot in forehead with arrow in Lancaster

A 10-year-old Lancaster boy was shot in the forehead with a bow and arrow on Thursday, apparently at the hands of his 14-year-old sister, police said.

Though the arrow lodged in the boy's forehead, said Police Capt. Tim Murphy, it did not pierce the brain. The injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

Doctors at Women and Children's Hospital removed the arrow during surgery Thursday night. The boy remained in the hospital Friday night, when his condition was upgraded from critical to stable.

The incident occurred about 5 p.m. at the William Street residence. Police did not release the names of the children.

"We haven't determined exactly the full cause of what occurred yet, and we're consulting with the District Attorney's office," Murphy said. "We don't know if there are going to be any charges."

***

Man guilty of some charges in threat to estranged wife

Burmese immigrant Van Tha Cung was found guilty Friday of charges that he threatened his estranged wife and their two children during his arrest at her Maurice Street flat last Dec. 27.

The jury verdict followed a weeklong trial before State Supreme Court Justice Deborah A. Haendiges.

Cung, 28, of Kail Street, was found not guilty of second-degree burglary and one count of child endangerment. However, he was found guilty of another count endangering the welfare of a child and two counts of criminal contempt. He will be sentenced Sept. 13, when he could face from 1 1/3 to four years in prison.

Cung, who had arrived in Buffalo with his family from a Malaysian refugee camp in June 2009, said he had been invited to move back in with his wife, Ngun Tha Par, last December.

Though Par, 38, obtained orders of protection against Cung in June 2010 and again last October, Cung testified that he had lived with her and their 3-year-old son and year-old daughter last July and again in December.

Par testified that she had moved out with her two children in March 2010 and spent some time in Haven House, a facility for battered women.

Par told the jury she feared for her life and said Cung treated her "like an animal."