Share this article

print logo


Albion woman, 52, dies during fire in apartment

An Albion woman lost her life in a fire that ripped through her apartment Thursday night.

The victim was identified as Gloria Robinson, 52. She had been living alone at the time. The blaze, reported about 8:15 p.m., began in the second-floor apartment of the home at 222 W. State St., authorities said. A second tenant escaped unharmed.

Robinson, who was found unconscious on a bathroom floor, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.


Worker burned on the job listed in fair condition

NIAGARA FALLS -- A worker who was burned Thursday at a tank-cleaning facility on South Hyde Park Boulevard was in fair condition Friday at Erie County Medical Center, company officials said.

Fire officials said the employee at Tier New York LLC, whose name was not released, was getting into a tank when a burst of fire flashed over him. Co-workers pulled him out of the tank.

The man suffered second- and third-degree burns. The burns were not chemical burns.

Tier New York spokeswoman Rhonda Prutzman said the tank was the type that a tractor-trailer would haul and not a railroad tanker as had been previously reported by fire officials. She also said the tank was not carrying any hazardous materials.

"It was an empty tanker ready to be washed," Prutzman said.

The company is working with officials from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration to determine what happened.


Man enters guilty plea to buying a stolen car

LOCKPORT -- A Tuscarora Indian Reservation man pleaded guilty Friday in Niagara County Court to a felony charge of knowingly purchasing a stolen car March 29.

Michael J. Kirkland, 34, of Walmore Road, pleaded guilty to fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property. He is to be sentenced Oct. 7 by Judge Sara Sheldon Sperrazza.


Two struck by car sue Town of Lockport

LOCKPORT -- Two persons struck by a car on Dysinger Road last year sued the Town of Lockport this week, charging that town should have provided better safety markings or sidewalks on the road.

Danielle M. Boston of Cottage Street and Sherman Carson of Rochester are represented by the Cellino & Barnes law firm. The suit, filed in State Supreme Court, does not specify the amount of damages being sought.

Boston, 36, and Carson, 39, were struck about 9:15 p.m. Aug. 17 by a car driven by Livingston Clark, 55, of Lockport, who was not charged. The Sheriff's Office said at the time that the victims had crossed into traffic without noticing Clark's oncoming car.


Woman pleads guilty in remark about choking

A Town of Tonawanda woman pleaded guilty Friday to endangering the welfare of an incompetent person for trying to stop someone from performing the Heimlich maneuver on her 43-year-old son in a Niagara Falls Boulevard restaurant.

Rolaine Foigelman, 68, of Montrose Avenue, pleaded guilty as charged before Amherst Town Justice Geoffrey Klein to the highest charge she faced for the incident June 18 in the Boulevard Family Restaurant.

Foigelman faces a possible one-year jail term when she returns for sentencing Oct. 12.

Witnesses said she yelled, "Leave him alone. Let him die," while her developmentally disabled son was choking and a person was trying to assist him. She also was accused of trying to grab the phone from a restaurant employee calling 911.

Her son had recovered by the time police arrived.


Lockport man arraigned on felony DWI charge

LOCKPORT -- A Lockport man, whose June 29 arrest in a traffic stop led to the capture of his passenger, an Atlanta man wanted for murder, was arraigned in Niagara County Court Friday.

James F. Keenan Jr., 41, of Waterman Street, pleaded not guilty to felony driving while intoxicated, first-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, an inadequate license plate light and seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, hydrocodone.

His passenger, Antonio B. Cantrell, 20, was wanted for allegedly shooting a man to death in a Decatur, Ga., motel Jan. 17, 2010.


Boy hot in forehead with arrow in Lancaster

A 10-year-old Lancaster boy was shot in the forehead with a bow and arrow on Thursday, apparently at the hands of his 14-year-old sister, police said.

Though the arrow lodged in the boy's forehead, said Police Capt. Tim Murphy, it did not pierce the brain. The injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

Doctors at Women and Children's Hospital removed the arrow during surgery Thursday night. The boy remained in the hospital Friday night, when his condition was upgraded from critical to stable.

The incident occurred about 5 p.m. at the William Street residence. The district attorney is investigating.