Share this article

print logo

Murder confession spurs officials to probe suicide of first wife

Investigators who charged a Georgia man with killing his third wife and dumping her body in a well are taking another look at the circumstances of his first wife's apparent suicide, authorities said Tuesday.

James Lynn Jr. was charged with killing his third wife, Tonya Faye Lynn, and later led police to her body at the bottom of a well in northeast Georgia, said Police Detective Rachel Love in Winder, on the rural outskirts of Atlanta.

Now the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is re-examining the death of Julie Johnson Lynn, who was pregnant when she died in 1990 from a single gunshot wound to her head in the bedroom of her Georgia home.

"We are doing a preliminary review into the facts of the case to see if there are facts to reopen it," said GBI Agent Jim Fullington.

Tonya Lynn's supervisor at the Athens Regional Medical Center called police after the 38-year-old mother of four didn't show up for work Wednesday morning, the first time she failed to show without calling or texting. Her niece Christa Royster told authorities she also got a mysterious text message from her aunt's phone saying "take care of my kids," Love said.

Authorities tracked down Tonya Lynn's car at a nearby public library and soon took her husband in for questioning.

Love said he confessed to the killing after police showed surveillance video of him parking his wife's car at the library and then hopping in a female friend's car. Police wouldn't disclose the friend's name.

"I told him, 'I know you're lying, I know this is you, and this is your friend's vehicle. It's time to talk,' " she said. "And he did. He confessed to the murder."

She said James Lynn led investigators to her body in the well in the nearby town of Auburn. Medical examiners at the GBI Crime Lab determined that she died of blunt force trauma to the head, Fullington said.

Her supervisor, Stacey Morris, said Tonya, who worked as a cardiovascular pulmonary technician, had an infectious smile and bubbly personality that kept the department entertained. "Tonya was special to us. She brought joy to our department, she was full of life. She had a great giggle and we miss hearing her," said Morris. "Our hearts are just broken. We're coping and we're still taking care of our patients, and we're trying to take care of each other."

There are no comments - be the first to comment