Share this article

Open for business
Find out the latest updates from local businesses as our region reopens.
print logo

Lutz held out as precaution, more tests planned

Buffalo Bisons third baseman Zach Lutz was held out of Sunday's game against the Norfolk Tides for precautionary reasons because of a head injury and remains listed as day-to-day.

Lutz was struck in the head by a pitch on Friday and suffered a headache immediately after the incident, but the pain has subsided, Bisons manager Tim Teufel said.

"He felt like he was ready to play [Sunday] but all players think that," Teufel said. "They all want to play, especially him,

because he's a gamer who doesn't like to sit on the bench or sit around the locker room at all."

Lutz took a baseline test on Sunday morning, which is standard procedure under Major League baseball guidelines.

"The doctors looked at him and I think he has to do another retest in a day or two," Teufel said. "Anytime you get hit in the head you have a baseline test that all the players have taken prior to the year so you have something to draw on. The doctor saw things that he wants to re-evaluate and take his time with."

Lutz entered Friday's contest hitting .327 in 13 games since being activated off the disabled list on June 7 and raised his season average to .318 in 26 games in Buffalo.


Valentino Pascucci went a week in between home runs, but Sunday's blast was quite memorable.

Pascucci broke a 3-3 tie in the seventh inning with a drive over the left field fence that traveled an estimated 420 feet. A fan sitting outside the ball park fetched the ball and waved it around as Pascucci cleared the bases.

"It's one of those ones when I hit it I knew it was gone," said Pascucci, who now has 10 home runs on the year. "I think I heard [hitting coach Mike] Easler yell from the dugout."


Saturday night's extra inning game lasted nearly four hours, but the Bisons got a bit of a reprieve on Sunday with a game that was completed in just over two hours.

"Nice, we needed that," said Teufel on the contest that went two hours and 18 minutes. "I think everybody needed that."