Share this article

Open for business
Find out the latest updates from local businesses as our region reopens.
print logo



First lady and family go on safari adventure

MADIKWE GAME RESERVE, South Africa (AP) -- Michelle Obama and her family went on a safari Saturday.

The first lady, joined by daughters Malia, 12, and Sasha, 10, along with her mother, Marian Robinson, and a niece and nephew, climbed into an open-air Toyota Land Cruiser in search of lions, giraffes, elephants and other animals on the sprawling Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.

"Let's go see some stuff," Mrs. Obama said before she and her family returned to the vehicle after listening to a park guide's explanation about the mountains off in the distance.

The group were spending the night at a lodge on the reserve.

Mrs. Obama has been in Africa all week, promoting youth leadership, education, and health and wellness in South Africa and Botswana. She returns home to Washington on Monday.



Stalemate continues over captured soldier

JERUSALEM (AP) -- Gaza Strip militants vowed Saturday that an Israeli soldier captured five years ago would not "see the light" until Palestinian prisoners held by Israel were released.

In Israel, about 400 supporters of Sgt. Gilad Schalit gathered at the Gaza border crossing where he was seized by gunmen linked to Gaza's ruling Hamas movement on June 25, 2006. They waved Israeli flags emblazoned with his likeness and demanded the government do more to secure his release.

In Jerusalem, Schalit's parents, his brother and his brother's girlfriend chained themselves to one another and to a railing on the side of a road leading to the prime minister's residence.

"We are marking five years' anniversary of Gilad's captivity in the Hamas hands and we, as you can see, are also a family in captivity for five years," said Schalit's father, Noam Schalit.



10 officers, 2 militants dead after attack

DERA ISMAIL KHAN, Pakistan (AP) -- Two militants attacked a police station Saturday in northwest Pakistan, fighting gunbattles before blowing themselves up during a five-hour standoff that killed at least 10 officers, authorities said.

The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack that involved a female suicide bomber, saying it was partly in revenge for the U.S. raid that killed Osama bin Laden. The Taliban consider Pakistani security forces a legitimate target because of the South Asian nation's alliance with the United States.

After the militants entered the police station in Kolachi, TV footage showed black-clad security squads armed with rifles scrambling into positions around the facility. Three explosions rocked the scene in quick succession.

There are no comments - be the first to comment