Six properties in Erie County and one in Niagara County have been recommended for the state and national registers of historic places, which would help preserve the sites for current and future generations.
The properties are among 27 statewide that have been recommended for addition to the state and national registers by the state Board for Historic Preservation. The listing would assist the owners in accessing government funds to revitalize the structures, making them eligible for various public preservation programs, matching grants and rehabilitation tax credits that are available through both the state and federal governments.
Five of the six recommended properties in Erie County are in Buffalo's Black Rock neighborhood.
"It's fitting that many of the nominated properties highlight the impressive inventory of historic resources in Buffalo, which is the host city for the National Trust for Historic Preservation's National Preservation Conference in October," said Rose Harvey, commissioner of the state Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
The Erie County properties are:
*The Buffalo Smelting Works in Black Rock that was built in 1891 and is a rare surviving example of waterfront industrial architecture. The business enjoyed nearly three decades of success in the copper smelting industry.
*The Dayton House, 243 Dearborn St. in Black Rock, which is a Greek Revival and Italianate-style brick residence that was constructed around 1840, following the construction of the nearby Erie Canal. It is one of the oldest surviving residences in the neighborhood.
*The Eberz House, a nearly pristine example of a Queen Anne style home, built in 1892, which reflects elements of the historical prosperity in the Black Rock neighborhood.
*A house at 218 Dearborn St., that was constructed around 1880 and is a surviving example of a shotgun worker's cottage, a style that was ubiquitous in the neighborhood during the last half of the 19th century, as Black Rock became a thriving working-class community.
*The Market Square Historic District, in the heart of Black Rock, that includes a few intact, late-Federal-era frame houses and an array of architectural styles from the early 19th to early 20th centuries.
*The Robert T. Coles House and Studio, 321 Humboldt Parkway, in the city's Hamlin Park neighborhood, that is a mid-20th century example of modern architecture. Built in 1961, it used prefabricated and precut components in its construction, drawn from the experience of Coles, then an architect for the Techbuilt Co.
In Niagara County, the Nathan Comstock Jr. House in Lockport also was recommended for listing on the registers. Built in 1823, the Greek Revival-style house was constructed of Gasport limestone quarried from around the time that the Erie Canal locks were constructed. Comstock, the original owner of the house, was a founder of the Village of Lockport.