Share this article

print logo


Airman's remains in '66 crash identified

SENECA FALLS (AP) -- The Defense Department says the remains of an airman from Seneca Falls who died in a crash 45 years ago in Vietnam have been identified.

The POW/Missing Personnel Office said Friday that Air Force 1st Lt. David A. Thorpe's remains were among those recovered after the 1966 crash, but positive identification wasn't possible until DNA testing improved.

Thorpe was one of five crew members on the C-130E cargo plane when it left Tan Son Nhut Air Base on Oct. 3, 1966, and failed to arrive at Nha Trang Air Base. The cause of the crash isn't known.

His remains were initially buried as part of a group at Arlington National Cemetery and will be re-interred with full military honors on Thursday.


Bid to retry Bruno under close scrutiny

NEW YORK (AP) -- Federal appeals court judges on Friday sharply scrutinized efforts by prosecutors to put a former Republican State Senate leader on trial again and questioned the fairness of a potential retrial.

"Why should you get another chance now?" Judge Denny Chin asked a government lawyer at a hearing in the Joseph Bruno case at the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Bruno, 82, was convicted in 2009 of denying taxpayers honest services by concealing a deal with a business associate who paid him as a consultant.

But the Supreme Court made reversal likely last year by ruling in the case of former Enron CEO Jeffrey Skilling that federal denial-of-services statutes only criminalize schemes involving bribes or kickbacks.

Prosecutors sought another trial for Bruno, saying evidence shows he received $280,000 for taking official actions on the associate's behalf.


Dog found in trash bin on road to recovery

NEW YORK (AP) -- A severely emaciated dog that was thrown out with the garbage is recovering and may soon be put up for adoption.

Animal Care & Control Executive Director Julie Bank said a staffer found the pit bull on May 26 in a large trash bin in the Bronx. She told WABC that the canine couldn't walk and could barely raise her head.

Staffers named her Ella. She is recovering at an animal control foster home. Once she puts on more weight, she will be available for adoption. If interested, e-mail the agency atinfo(at)

There are no comments - be the first to comment