Interesting week for running, eh?
From frequent rain and gusty wind to sunshine, from a shirt and shorts to rain gear, it's been an odd few days. The weather is supposed to be good Saturday, at least, so we can all look forward to that.
One note of interest: former residents of Western New York deserve a mention for finishing the Boston Marathon too. You might remember Jen Gwen (now Thiessen), a former women's assistant basketball coach at Canisiuis. Jen ran the race in two hours, 54 minutes and 32 seconds.
The weekend schedule, courtesy of buffalorunners.com:
* SFC Race for a Cause, 5K, 2745 Seneca St. in West Seneca, 6:30 p.m. Friday, 824-4655. Warm weather must be coming; it's the first Friday night race of the year.
* Young Life Dyngus Day Dash, 5K, S4999 McKinley Parkway in Hamburg, 9 a.m. Saturday, 830-7852. No one goes away from this race hungry. I remember doing this race a few years ago and seeing rain, hail and snow at various times; little chance of that happening this year.
* GBTC Grand Island Half Marathon (Buffalo News Runner of the Year race), Beaver Island State Park in Grand Island, 10 a.m. Saturday, 883-2117. This is a great stand-alone event or a warm-up for the Buffalo Marathon at the end of May.
* Three Kings Royal Race, 5K, 10893 Sisson Highway in North Collins, 10 a.m. Saturday, 337-3780.
* Zach's Run, 5K, Clinton Ave. in Fredonia (Little League Field), 10 a.m. Sunday, 269-9703.
--- Budd Bailey