Share this article

print logo

Board confronts snack bar issues

A concession stand will open this summer in Woodlawn Beach State Park in Hamburg, but plans for the stand at the Hamburg Golf Course remain on hold.

The Town Board was split on whether to accept the proposal from BW's Smokin' Barrels Barbecue to operate the snack bar at the golf course.

After the town canceled the contract with Mary Nosky, the longtime operator of the concession stand, earlier this year, it issued a request for proposals.

Recreation Director Martin Denecke said he sent proposals to 12 businesses and interested parties, but only BW's responded.

The Hamburg restaurant and caterer proposed paying the town $16,500 this year, $18,000 next year and $18,500 in 2013. That's above the minimum the town would accept, which was $16,500 this year, $17,000 next year and $17,500 in 2013.

But the cancellation of Nosky's contract, which was to run through the end of this year, has generated opposition from golfers. Supervisor Steven J. Walters has said Nosky did not notify the town this year that she was returning, as required by the contract. But Nosky's supporters dispute whether she is required to give the town notice.

Councilman Jonathan Gorman abstained from voting on the BW proposal, and Councilman Joseph Collins said he opposed it. They said they did not want to approve it when disagreement remains over whether Nosky's contract is canceled.

That left two affirmative votes from Walters and Councilwoman Amy Ziegler, and the motion failed.

"Looks like we have no concession stand," Walters said.

He then asked Collins and Gorman to table the item until their questions are answered, and they agreed. Recreation Department employees will sell refreshments at the course until the stand is opened.

Golfers also are upset over reports that the golf course may be renamed "Eighteen Mile Creek Golf Course."

Walters did not say whether a sign has been produced, but he said a name change is being considered to attract more golfers.

Tucker Curtin, who also owns Dug's Dive, a restaurant at Buffalo's Small Boat Harbor, submitted the successful bid to operate the Woodlawn Beach concession stand.

He will pay the town $4,000 in each of the three years he has the contract, plus 2 percent of the gross revenues. He said he hopes to open by July 1 this year, but earlier in the season next year.

e-mail: bobrien@buffnews.com

There are no comments - be the first to comment