Share this article

print logo


Police identify teen who was fatally shot

Buffalo police have identified the teenager shot to death in Riverside early Sunday as Tyjohn Taylor, 17, of Crowley Avenue.

Northwest District officers responding to a "shots fired" call just after midnight found the youth dead in a first-floor hallway of a home in the 100 block of Crowley. The shooting scene is just east of the southern end of Riverside Park.

The victim did not live at the house where he was shot.

Anyone with information is asked to call or text the confidential TIP-CALL line at 847-2255.


Thief grabs woman's purse, pushes her to the ground

A 71-year-old Eggertsville woman was being treated for a broken wrist in Erie County Medical Center on Monday after a thief ran up behind her, grabbed her purse and pushed her to the ground, Amherst police reported.

Police were asking for the public's help in identifying the 5-foot-6, small-built black male who wore all black clothing and a black hooded sweat shirt. The thief snatched the purse of the Allenhurst Road woman at about 3 p.m., while she was walking with a friend on Windermere Boulevard near Princeton Avenue. The suspect then fled east on Princeton.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 689-1311.


Terroristic threats claimed in Jobs Corps Center arrest

SHELBY -- A Cheektowaga man was taken to Orleans County Jail and accused of making terroristic threats against the Iroquois Job Corps Center, Orleans County sheriff's officials reported.

Hugo D. Smith, 20, who is also known as Daymirus Smith, was charged with felony making a terroristic threat and aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor, authorities said.

Smith is accused of threatening to create "a Columbine-type incident at the Tibbits Road center during numerous telephone calls there Sunday.

Smith, authorities said, threatened to kill as many students as he could before taking his own life and also is accused of making numerous threatening phone calls to a former girlfriend who is a student at the center.

Smith was arraigned and jailed in lieu of $2,000 cash bail pending a future court date.


Woman reports abduction and sexual assault

A Buffalo woman told police she was pulled off the street near Riverside Park late Sunday and taken to a house where she was raped and sodomized by three men, according to police reports.

The victim said she was walking home from her boyfriend's house at about 11 p.m. when a dark-colored vehicle stopped at Tonawanda Street and Ross Avenue. A passenger got out of the vehicle and asked her for the time before forcing her into the back seat.

She told police she was driven to an unknown house where she said she was forced into a bedroom and forced by two men to have intercourse while a third man blocked the door. When they were done, the third male sodomized her, she said.

She was forced back into the vehicle and dropped off at the corner from where she was taken.

The victim sought treatment at Kenmore Mercy Hospital, Town of Tonawanda.

Buffalo Police Sex Offense Section detectives were investigating the report.


Depew firefighters keep blaze from spreading

Depew police and fire officials believe everyone got out safely from an apartment building fire reported at daybreak Monday in the village.

The fire extensively damaged the apartment house at 21 Main St. Authorities have been told that only the two second-floor apartments were occupied at the time of the blaze.

"Everyone that we're aware of got out safely," Depew police Lt. William Curr said.

Curr praised the Depew firefighters for preventing the fire from spreading to a building next door that's only about two feet away.

"They did a fantastic job," Curr said. "They were able to contain it to the one structure."

The Depew Fire Department, aided by Lancaster firefighters, remained at the scene at least three hours after the initial 7:11 a.m. fire call.


Assault of firefighter brings two-year term

A Buffalo man was sentenced Monday to two years in state prison for helping his brother assault an off-duty Buffalo firefighter over a bar dispute two years ago.

Mohamed A. Mohamed, 27, who was convicted Feb. 8 of second-degree assault, begged State Supreme Court Justice Penny M. Wolfgang for leniency while saying he also felt sympathy for the victim.

Wolfgang stressed that evidence in the early-morning attack on Firefighter Julio Esquilin in a Kenefick Avenue flat on Jan. 18, 2009, confirmed that Mohamed's fugitive 27-year-old brother last spotted in Yemen last year was "more culpable."

But the judge rejected defense attorney Rachel M. Kranitz bid for a possible weekends-only jail term for Mohamed, noting that Mohamed was "part and parcel" of what she called the "senseless act" that could have ended Esquilin's firefighting career.

There are no comments - be the first to comment