Share this article

print logo


Fire destroys house and kills family dog

NIAGARA FALLS -- An 87th Street house was destroyed and a family dog died in a fast-moving fire just before 11 a.m. Monday.

Battalion Fire Chief John Frosolone said flames were coming out of the windows and the fire spread quickly as firefighters arrived shortly before 11.

The cause of the fire remained under investigation late Monday, but it appears to have started on the first floor.

Damage was estimated at $30,000 to $40,000, and the building inspector was called to review the extent of damage, Frosolone said.

The family was being helped by relatives.


Two cash registers stolen from Lewiston bar

LEWISTON -- Two cash registers were stolen from a Center Street bar shortly after a vehicle crashed into it at about 4 a.m. Monday.

Niagara County sheriff's deputies responded to a burglary-in-progress call at the Village Pub, 840 Center St., and deputies, along with U.S. Border Patrol officers, found the entrance door destroyed.

Owner Kenneth C. Scibetta said he was in the basement when he heard a crash and footsteps. He provided police a video showing a vehicle crashing through the front doors and an unknown subject taking the cash registers, which contained more than $2,000.

Total loss and damage was estimated at $5,500.


Sale of painkillers brings probation, civic service

LOCKPORT -- A Dysinger Road woman was placed on five years' probation Monday and ordered to perform 40 hours of community service for selling the painkillers to which she said she was addicted.

Debra S. Dye, 49, had pleaded guilty before Niagara County Judge Matthew J. Murphy III to fifth-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance. She was indicted for selling hydrocodone and acetominophen to an undercover police officer Oct. 8 and 14, 2009, in the Town of Lockport.


Police identify teen who was fatally shot

Buffalo police have identified the teenager shot to death in Riverside early Sunday as Tyjohn Taylor, 17, of Crowley Avenue.

Northwest District officers responding to a "shots fired" call just after midnight found the youth dead in a first-floor hallway of a home in the 100 block of Crowley. The shooting scene is just east of the southern end of Riverside Park.

The victim did not live at the house where he was shot.


Terroristic threats claimed in Jobs Corps Center arrest

SHELBY -- A Cheektowaga man was taken to Orleans County Jail and accused of making terroristic threats against the Iroquois Job Corps Center, Orleans County sheriff's officials reported.

Hugo D. Smith, 20, who is also known as Daymirus Smith, was charged with felony making a terroristic threat and aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor, authorities said.

Smith is accused of threatening to create "a Columbine-type incident at the Tibbits Road center during numerous telephone calls there Sunday.

Smith, authorities said, threatened to kill as many students as he could before taking his own life and also is accused of making numerous threatening phone calls to a former girlfriend who is a student at the center.

Smith was arraigned and jailed in lieu of $2,000 cash bail pending a future court date.


Woman reports abduction and sexual assault

A Buffalo woman told police she was pulled off the street near Riverside Park late Sunday and taken to a house where she was raped and sodomized by three men, according to police reports.

The victim said she was walking home from her boyfriend's house at about 11 p.m. when a dark-colored vehicle stopped at Tonawanda Street and Ross Avenue. A passenger got out of the vehicle and asked her for the time before forcing her into the back seat.

She told police she was driven to an unknown house where she said she was forced into a bedroom and forced by two men to have intercourse while a third man blocked the door. When they were done, the third male sodomized her, she said.

She was forced back into the vehicle and dropped off at the corner from where she was taken. The victim sought treatment at Kenmore Mercy Hospital, Town of Tonawanda.

Buffalo Police Sex Offense Section detectives were investigating the report.


Victim of failed robbery is struck with shotgun

A male victim of a robbery attempt on the city's West Side was being treated in Erie County Medical Center late Monday aftering being struck with a shotgun.

The victim, whose name was not available, told Buffalo police that at about 4:10 p.m. he was approached from behind by a masked man in the 200 block of Vermont Street and struck in the face with the barrel of a sawed-off shotgun. The man struck him, then left with nothing.

There are no comments - be the first to comment