Share this article

print logo

AROUND THE NATION

Brain damaged mother allowed to see triplets

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A judge issued an order Friday allowing a woman so badly brain damaged by medical errors during childbirth that she can no longer walk, talk or eat temporary visitation with her 4-year-old triplets.

Superior Court Judge Frederick C. Shaller issued the ruling after a hearing over the parental rights of Abbie Dorn, 34, who is being cared for by her parents at their Myrtle Beach, S.C., home. The order will stand until a trial date is set.

Dorn's parents, who are suing for permanent visitation, want the children to visit for two weeks every summer and a week in the fall and spring.

But an attorney for Dorn's ex-husband argued during a hearing this week that their mother was so badly injured giving birth that she is no longer capable of being a parent.

An attorney for Dorn's family said that although she may be incapable of having a traditional mother-child relationship, that doesn't mean she should be shut out from holding her children, watching them grow and bonding with them.

***

Ex-student accused of shooting classmate

MARTINSVILLE, Ind. (AP) -- A 15-year-old boy who was expelled this week opened fire at his central Indiana middle school before classes began Friday, shooting another student in the stomach, police said.

The victim, Chance Jackson, was listed in critical but stable condition at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, where he was taken by helicopter.

The former student suspected in the attack was arrested miles away about an hour after the shooting, which unfolded before 7 a.m., just as classes were about to begin, State Police Sgt. Curt Durnil said.

The teen was being questioned at the county jail as Morgan County prosecutors reviewed possible charges.

"We have no motive at all at this point," Durnil said.

Officers found a handgun believed used in the shooting in a field near the school, about 30 miles south of Indianapolis.

The shooting on the last day of classes before the start of spring break sparked an hours-long lockdown at Martinsville West Middle School, as hundreds of panicked parents awaited word on their children.

Durnil said the teen in custody had been suspended then expelled from the school and was not supposed to be on campus. He said he did not know why the student was expelled.

***

Officials disagree on status of labor law

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Wisconsin officials couldn't agree Friday about whether an explosive law taking away nearly all public worker collective bargaining rights was about to take effect after a nonpartisan legislative bureau published it despite a court order blocking publication.

The Legislative Reference Bureau's action was noted on the state Legislature's website Friday.

Legislative Reference Bureau director Steve Miller insisted the action doesn't mean the law will take effect today. He said that won't happen until Secretary of State Doug La Follette orders the law published in a newspaper.

"It's not implementation of all," Miller said. "It's simply a matter of forwarding an official copy to the secretary of state."

But La Follette wasn't so sure, saying it wasn't clear what the action means.

A judge last week issued a temporary restraining order blocking implementation of the law while the court considers challenges to its approval.

***

Gulf claims czar gets a raise in pay

PASCAGOULA, Miss. (AP) -- Documents provided by the administrator of BP's claims fund for gulf oil spill victims show the oil giant has agreed to increase his law firm's monthly compensation from $850,000 to $1.25 million.

The documents include a letter from former U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey to claims czar Kenneth Feinberg stating Mukasey's belief that the extra money was warranted because Feinberg's duties had grown.

Mukasey had been asked by Feinberg to assess how reasonable his compensation was.

The pay hike is retroactive to Jan. 15 and runs through the end of 2011.

Feinberg has been criticized for the pace of processing the roughly 500,000 claims that have been filed since he took over handling claims for individuals and businesses from the $20 billion fund in August.

Claimants complained that the money they have received is inadequate and that in many cases their claims have been denied without explanation.

There are no comments - be the first to comment