Share this article

print logo

AROUND THE STATE

Subway spaghetti video spurs etiquette debate

NEW YORK (AP) -- The city's subway riders can handle panhandlers, rats and tuneless street musicians. But eating spaghetti in a crowded subway car? That's just going too far.

An Internet video that shows New Yorkers brawling over a passenger's right to nosh noodles on the subway has ignited a debate about what people should and shouldn't do in the nation's largest mass transit system.

The video, posted online anonymously, picks up mid-argument, as a woman twirls onto her fork spaghetti from a takeout container and a passenger across the aisle chides her.

"What kind of animals eat on the train like that?" says the woman across the aisle.

The diner replies with an epithet, and the exchange quickly degenerates into a fistfight.

The video has touched a nerve in a stressed-out city where the commutes are difficult and no perceived slight goes undocumented, thanks to cell-phone video cameras.

***

Passenger in bus crash says driver was asleep

NEW YORK (AP) -- Passengers are challenging a bus driver's contention that he was well-rested and alert the morning his tour bus crashed into a pole in New York, killing 15 people on board.

In a lawsuit filed Wednesday, Erold Jean Marie alleges driver Ophadell Williams was asleep at the wheel when the bus crashed on March 12 while returning from the Mohegan Sun casino in Uncasville, Conn.

Jean Marie was sitting in the back of the bus and saw the vehicle veer onto the rumble strip three times in a 20-minute period before the crash on Interstate 95, Herb Subin, his lawyer, said Thursday. He said Jean Marie did not see a tractor-trailer swerve toward the bus, as the driver has claimed.

"People were decapitated. You couldn't make a horror film that was nearly this bad," Subin said.

The lawsuit is the second filed since the crash; more are expected.

***

County exec won't seek re-election after probe

GARDEN CITY (AP) -- A Long Island county executive said Thursday he will not seek a third term and voluntarily turned over about $4 million in campaign funds to the district attorney following a 16-month investigation.

Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy, a Democrat-turned-Republican who ran unsuccessfully for governor in 2010, made the stunning announcement in a news release.

That statement was followed by an announcement from District Attorney Thomas Spota that Levy's campaign had been the target of an investigation.

He said the probe found serious issues about "fundraising and the manner in which it was conducted, including the use of public resources." He said Levy did not personally profit.

Levy was viewed as a solid contender for a third term.

***

DA notifies inmates about crime lab woes

MINEOLA (AP) -- The Nassau County district attorney has notified nearly 300 inmates that questions have been raised about the accuracy of the county crime lab.

The lab was shut after revelations that examiners were producing inaccurate measurements in some drug cases.

District Attorney Kathleen Rice's office has sent letters to local and state inmates jailed in Nassau County for drug or drunken-driving convictions. The letter includes contact information for lawyers.

Rice plans to have evidence in as many as 3,000 cases retested, going back several years.

Earlier this month, a judge ordered a retrial in a drunken driving case because of questions about the crime lab.

There are no comments - be the first to comment