Share this article

print logo

Rev. Antoni Lutostanski, pastor of St. John Kanty; June 10, 1934 -- March 13, 2011

The Rev. Antoni Lutostanski, who served as pastor of St. John Kanty Catholic Church on the East Side for 15 years, died Sunday in Jacksonville, Fla. He was 76.

A native of Lutostan, Poland, he was ordained to the Catholic priesthood in 1958 in Lomza, Poland, and served several assignments in his home country for 13 years.

In 1971, Father Lutostanski moved to Brazil, where he became pastor of Church of Nossa Senhora Aprecida in Curitiba, Parana.

He was credited with getting a church and rectory built, and he also was responsible for a seminary and soccer stadium built on property donated to the parish.

Father Lutostanski came to the Diocese of Buffalo in 1984 and first served at St. Stanislaus Church.

From 1985 to 1988 he was assigned to St. Casimir. He was parochial vicar of St. James in Depew from 1988 to 1994.

In 1993, he was incardinated into the Buffalo Diocese -- becoming subject to the authority of the bishop here, rather than in Poland.

He was named pastor of St. John Kanty in 1994 and served there until his retirement in 2009. He recently moved to Florida.

Father Lutostanski served as chaplain for the Polish Army Veterans, the Lechici Organization and the Villa Maria College Chorale.

Survivors include a sister, Teresa Kruszewska.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 10 a.m. Friday in St. John Kanty Church, Broadway and Swinburne Street, with Bishop Edward U. Kmiec as celebrant.

[tokasz]