Share this article

print logo


Seven jurors sworn in for Hassan murder trial

Seven people -- five men and two women -- were sworn as jurors at the Muzzammil S. "Mo" Hassan murder trial by the close of the second day of jury selection Tuesday. A third day of the selection process, to choose five additional jurors and four alternate jurors, is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. today.

Hassan, 46, a former banker and cable television entrepreneur, has been jailed since he turned himself in to Orchard Park police an hour after he allegedly beheaded his third wife, Aasiya Zubair Hassan, 37, in their

Orchard Park cable station office at about 5 p.m. Feb. 12, 2009.


Death of man, 61, becomes first homicide of year in city

A 61-year-old man who lived alone in the Clinton-Spring Street area of the city is Buffalo's first homicide victim of 2011 after an apparent burglary at his apartment, Buffalo police reported Tuesday.

Paul Anderson Sr., 61, was found dead at about 9 a.m. Monday by family members checking on his welfare at his apartment at 40 Mary B. Talbert Blvd.

"The victim had not been heard from since sometime on Friday," Dennis J. Richards, chief of detectives, reported.

Richards said no signs of forced entry were present, but there were signs that a burglary did occur.

"Homicide detectives are continuing the investigation, attempting to find out who last spoke with the victim, and what property may have been taken," Richards said.

Police did not reveal any details surrounding the nature of Anderson's death. The investigation is continuing.


Kenmore man faces prison in federal marijuana case

A Kenmore man faces four years in prison and a $250,000 fine for using a telephone to commit a drug offense, U.S. Attorney William J. Hochul Jr. said Tuesday.

Jeremie Jones, 29, admitted to the crime, stating that in April 2004 he engaged in telephone conversations involving the sale of quantities of marijuana weighing in the pounds and said he was involved in discussions of the sale of up to 2.5 kilograms of marijuana, according to Assistant U.S. Attorney John E. Rogowski.

Jones is scheduled to be sentenced on April 25 before Chief U.S. District Judge William M. Skretny.


Judge reserves decision in beaver-trapping case

ALFRED -- No decision was reached Monday in Alfred Town Court in the case of an Independence woman who was ticketed by the state Department of Environmental Conservation for trapping a beaver without a license.

Town Justice Sandra Cameron reserved decision after listening to arguments for about two hours. She asked both parties to return to court March 14 but could issue a written decision before then.

Gudrun Scott said she captured the beaver to move it and other beavers from a dangerous situation along a state road. The beavers were later killed by vehicle traffic.

Ross Scott, her husband and attorney, said a statute in environmental conservation law allows the capture of an animal in distress -- unable to survive in the wild without human intervention.

But prosecutor Amanda Finn said the conservation officer who found and released the beaver felt it seemed fine and didn't need help.


Theft of pickup ends in crash at Transit, Bullis

A Wheatfield man is accused of stealing a vehicle from his employer, running a stop sign, then crashing into another vehicle at about 9:30 a.m. Tuesday on Transit and New Bullis roads in Elma, Erie County sheriff's officials said.

Police said Daniels, 52, of Crescent Drive, took a pickup from his New Bullis Road employer and put a stolen license plate on the vehicle.

Daniels was charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and possession of stolen property.

A computer check showed he also had an outstanding warrant from Buffalo Housing Court.

Daniels was taken to the Erie County Holding Center pending arraignment.


Inmate gets four years in Chippewa Street attack

Hannibal Scott, currently serving three yars in prison for a Vermont Street mugging, was sentenced Tuesday to at least another four years behind bars for a Chippewa Street attack and a drug charge.

State Supreme Court Justice Christopher J. Burns imposed a five-year prison term on Scott's Dec. 7 felony robbery conviction for the Chippewa Street mugging and his guilty plea to possessing crack cocaine when stopped for not wearing a seat belt on East Delavan Avenue about a year ago.

Burns made all of the sentences concurrent for Scott, 22, of Fay Street. After a nonjury trial, Scott was found guilty for his role in the mugging at the doorway of the Bayou Bar at 75 W. Chippewa at about 3 a.m. July 18, 2009. Prosecutor Lynette M. Reda said accomplices Brian Lemiuex, 17, Roosevelt Simmons, 18 and Brandon Diebold, 20, all pleaded guilty in the mugging and got six-month jail terms last June.

There are no comments - be the first to comment