Share this article

print logo


Cocaine dealer gets 2-year prison term

LOCKPORT -- A Niagara Falls cocaine dealer was sentenced to two years in state prison Monday by Niagara County Judge Sara Sheldon Sperrazza.

Michael Sutton, 34, of 24th Street, had pleaded guilty to fifth-degree sale and seventh-degree possession of a controlled substance. He was charged with selling cocaine to a police informant in Niagara Falls on Nov. 19 and Dec. 16, 2009.


Falls drug dealer sentenced to 7 years

LOCKPORT -- Niagara Falls drug dealer Dustin L. McCarthy was sentenced to seven years in state prison Monday by Niagara County Judge Sara Sheldon Sperrazza.

McCarthy, 29, also was ordered to forfeit to the government $4,969 in cash that police found when they raided his 17th Street home Feb. 24.

Defense attorney Anthony J. Lana argued that $4,500 of the money was to be used to pay a woman who won a Small Claims Court action against McCarthy for taking her money to buy her a car at an auction and not delivering on the deal.

Police also found more than an ounce of cocaine and some hydrocodone and acetaminophen pills. McCarthy pleaded guilty to fourth- and fifth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance.


Tinted-window violation leads to driving charges

A Niagara Falls man whose vehicle was stopped for a tinted-window violation on Grand Island late Sunday was arrested after Erie County sheriff's deputies said they found four current license revocations on his driving record.

Deputy Adam Imiolo stopped the vehicle driven by Anthony T. Marshall, 22, on the Niagara Thruway at Whitehaven Road shortly before 11 p.m.

When the driver's name was run through the Department of Motor Vehicles computer, the deputy found the four revocations, three for failing to pay a fine and the fourth for refusing to submit to a chemical test, sheriff's officials said.

The deputy charged Marshall, of North Avenue, with multiple counts of aggravated unlicensed operation, all misdemeanors, and the tint violation.

Marshall also was held on five outstanding bench warrants, four from Niagara Falls and one from Cheektowaga, according to police records.


Home invaders shoot man, tie up woman

A man was shot in the hand and a woman was tied up and possibly pistol-whipped during a home invasion in the city's Grider-Delavan area reported at about 8:45 a.m. Monday, Buffalo police said.

Detectives say the attackers may have been wearing FBI jackets or something that looked like FBI jackets.

Police responded to the attack at about 8:45 a.m. in the first block of Sussex Street, north of East Delavan Avenue, just east of Grider Street.

Initial reports indicated that a handful of attackers tied up a woman and shot a man, believed to be in his late 50s. Police believe the victims are a married couple.

During the invasion, the thieves ransacked the home and stole jewelry and possibly other items, police said. The attackers fled in a fairly new Dodge Ram pickup with black stripes on the hood and tinted windows.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Buffalo Police Department's confidential TIP-CALL line at 847-2255.


Buffalo police find man dead in housing complex

Buffalo police are awaiting autopsy results to determine the cause of death of a man who was found dead in a housing complex Monday morning.

Detectives were called to the first block of Mary B. Talbert Boulevard shortly before 9 a.m. to check on the welfare of the man. An employee of the complex went to check on the man and found him dead.


Theft of grandfather's coins brings term of 1-3 years

LOCKPORT -- A Niagara Falls man who stole his grandfather's coin collection to buy drugs was sentenced to one to three years in state prison Monday by Niagara County Judge Matthew J. Murphy III.

Brandon C. Myers, 21, of 85th Street, will have to pay $4,000 in restitution when he gets of prison.

He pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of attempted third-degree burglary for the May 26 theft in Lewiston. Two pistols and some prescription drugs also were stolen.


Toxicology reports in death of Amherst girl received

Toxicology results in the suspicious death of 7-year-old Bianca Cartagena of East Amherst have been received by Amherst police, but the results are not being made public.

Amherst police Capt. Enzio G. Villalta, chief of detectives, explained Monday that detectives are still pursuing a number avenues in the investigation and that it could be some time before police conclude their probe into how the child died.

Bianca was found dead in her mother's East Amherst home the evening of Nov. 30 by relatives concerned about the girl's condition. Police also found the mother, Candace Croff Cartagena, semiconscious with apparent self-inflicted injuries inside an oversized backyard shed.

There are no comments - be the first to comment