Share this article

print logo


Teen's inaction leads to altercation on flight

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- Police said Wednesday that an Idaho man on a Southwest Airlines flight from Las Vegas punched a teenage passenger who refused to turn off his iPhone.

Officers arrested Russell E. Miller, 68, of Boise, late Tuesday on suspicion of misdemeanor battery.

Witnesses told police that the 15-year-old was playing games and listening to music on his cell phone when flight attendants instructed passengers to turn off their electronic devices because the plane was landing.

Witnesses told police that when the teen didn't respond, Miller got angry and punched the boy in the arm.

Miller said he "tapped" the teen on the shoulder after he refused to turn off the phone. He told the Idaho Statesman that he may have "overreacted" but that he did not punch the teen.


Texting subway driver gets probation in crash

BOSTON (AP) -- A subway driver pleaded guilty Wednesday and was sentenced to probation for an incident in which he was texting his girlfriend just before his trolley slammed into the back of another one near an underground station, injuring more than 60 people.

Aiden Quinn appeared in Suffolk Superior Court to plead guilty to gross negligence by a person in control of a common carrier. Judge Carol S. Ball sentenced him to two years of probation and 100 hours of community service.

Quinn admitted to typing a text message to his girlfriend just before the May 2009 rush-hour crash at the Government Center subway stop, prosecutors said. He ran through yellow and red warning lights and into the two-car train ahead of his. He was later fired.

Assistant District Attorney Paul M. Treseler asked Ball to sentence Quinn to six months in jail followed by probation, pointing to the injuries and cost of the accident. Treseler said about 65 riders on the two trains sought medical care for injuries ranging from bumps and bruises to broken bones.


Maintenance was tried before ski lift accident

CARRABASSETT VALLEY, Maine (AP) -- Ski area maintenance workers dispatched to realign a lift cable were unable to fix the problem and had restarted the lift in an attempt to offload riders when the cable derailed, sending skiers plummeting 25 to 30 feet, the resort said Wednesday.

High winds had shut down the lift at Sugarloaf in the hours before Tuesday's accident, but it was cleared for operations and reopened just before 10 a.m. About 20 minutes later, the two maintenance workers saw that the cable was out of place and were preparing to shut down the lift when the cable jumped its track. Five chairs fell, eight people were sent to hospitals and dozens were stranded on the crippled lift for more than an hour.

High winds contributed to the accident, investigators said.

There are no comments - be the first to comment