I heard an interesting comment from a couple of runners on Wednesday night in Niagara Falls. They wondered why the older runners always have to wait for the their awards in the ceremony? In other words, why shouldn't the kids wait once in a while?
I didn't have a good answer for them. So Mr. or Ms. Race Director, put this in the suggestion box for what it's worth.
* Here's a link to a first-person story by Meb Keflezighi about what it took to win the NYC Marathon.
* I still have Runner of the Year trophies from last year waiting to be handed out. So, Fran Rowe, Carolyn Corgel, Kevin Burke and Mike Heitzenrater, how about helping me clean out my spare bedroom a little?
* If you plan your schedule around such things, Checkers' Mueller Mile (a News runner of the year race) has been moved from August 21 to August 12.
Here's the calendar for the weekend:
Here's the weekend race schedule (and where are all the Saturday morning races?), courtesy of buffalorunners.com:
* Advantage Physical Therapy's Spring Into Summer 5K, 1191 Lincoln Ave. in Lockport, 6:30
p.m. Friday, 433-3368.
* St. Mary of the Lake 5K, 4737 Lake Shore Road in Hamburg, 6 p.m. Saturday, 570-6316.
* Bemus Point 10K, Long Point State Park Bath House, Sunday at 9 a.m., 488-0788.
--- Budd Bailey