Share this article

print logo


Jamestown man who leapt into lake presumed dead

CHAUTAUQUA -- A 31-year-old Jamestown man who went missing Saturday after jumping from a boat into Chautauqua Lake is now presumed dead.

Chautauqua County sheriff's investigators continued a search Sunday to recover the body of the victim, who jumped into the lake for a swim near Dewittville Bay shortly before 5:30 p.m. Saturday.

The Sheriff's Office did not identify the man. He was not wearing a life jacket when he jumped into the water, and the unanchored boat began drifting rapidly away from him in winds of 12 to 15 knots.

When a friend on the boat saw the man in distress, he jumped into the water with a life jacket in his hand and tried unsuccessfully to rescue the victim, according to Sheriff's Sgt. Jack Van Zile.

Another boater passing by was able to assist the friend, and they called 911.

By the time rescue crews were able to get to the area, the boat had drifted several hundred feet from where the man first entered the water.

Divers, boats and a helicopter searched until nightfall on Saturday.

"We've got a pretty big search area, because the boat drifted for quite a while," said Van Zile.

Sunday's recovery mission, which began at 7 a.m. and wrapped up around 7 p.m., included a helicopter in the morning, side-scan sonar and divers being towed underwater by boats.

The victim went into the water near the Town of Chautauqua, about halfway between Mayville and Bemus Point on the northern end of the lake.

Search teams will use stronger side-scan sonar equipment when they resume the search this morning.


Byron man accused of DWI, driving without a license

BATAVIA -- A Byron man was charged with three felonies Saturday after a Genesee County sheriff's deputy pulled him over for a traffic violation and found that he appeared drunk.

Adam M. Kreutz, 21, was charged with driving while intoxicated, aggravated driving while intoxicated for a blood-alcohol level higher than 0.18 percent, and aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

Kreutz was driving a 1996 Dodge Ram van southbound on Route 237 in Stafford when the deputy pulled him over for crossing over the solid yellow center line. Kreutz's license was already revoked for a previous DWI conviction, the Genesee County Sheriff's Office said.

Bail was set at $1,000 after his arraignment.


Laundry list of charges filed after police chase

First, police said, he tailgated a patrol car.

Then he blew a red light.

And from there, the traffic infractions just kept piling up for Todd B. Taylor, 28, of Decker Street, who drove at speeds reaching 80 mph in a 30-mph zone during a chase at 3 a.m. Saturday, Buffalo police said.

Taylor followed the patrol car too closely at Main and East Ferry streets, and then ran a red light at Main and East Delavan Avenue, police said.

When the police lieutenant in the patrol car told him to pull over at Main and Fillmore Avenue, Taylor sped off on Amherst Street.

Taylor eventually headed south on Bailey Avenue, then struck a bus stop and continued on Bailey until turning onto Thornton Avenue. That's when his blown left tire ended the chase, police said.

In addition to obstructing governmental administration, Taylor was charged with following too closely, speeding, reckless driving, failure to obey a traffic control device, leaving the scene of an accident, and aggravated unlicensed operation.


3 teens lost in gorge after dark emerge safely

NIAGARA FALLS, Ont. -- Three teenagers lost in the Niagara Gorge as darkness fell Saturday were rescued by Niagara Parks Police.

The three teenagers entered the Niagara Glen area about 6 p.m. and misjudged how much daylight was left, police said.

They were unable to find their way out, so one of the teenagers called her mother on a cell phone, and then the mother called 911.

A search by members of the Niagara Parks Police High Angle River Team found the young women "safe but exhausted and mosquito-bitten," police said.

The Thorold teenagers were guided to street level and to their parents shortly before 1 a.m. today.

"Despite their initial poor planning, they did do some things correctly," said Constable John Gayder. "They stayed together. They stayed on the trail system. And they had equipped themselves with a cell phone before going into the gorge."

The parks police advise hikers to wear weather-appropriate clothing and sturdy footwear when entering the gorge, as well as taking water and a snack.

Hikers should hike with a friend, and they should tell someone where they're going and when they expect to be back.

They should take a cell phone and insect repellent as well, and keep in mind that the sun sets earlier in the gorge.

Hikers should not underestimate the rugged terrain or overestimate their physical abilities.

And, of course, don't take alcohol or illegal drugs on the hike, police warned.

There are no comments - be the first to comment