Share this article

Open for business
Find out the latest updates from local businesses as our region reopens.
print logo


>Officials kill bear suspected of mauling

CODY, Wyo. (AP) -- Federal wildlife officials tracked down and killed a grizzly bear Saturday that was suspected of fatally mauling a man outside Yellowstone National Park.

Chris Servheen, grizzly bear coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, said the bear was found by trackers following a signal from a radio collar that had been placed around the bear's neck hours prior to the attack.

The animal was shot about two miles from where Erwin F. Evert's body was found.

Evert, 70, had been hiking Thursday east of Yellowstone.

The suspect bear had been trapped and tranquilized a few hours before the attack by members of the park's Grizzly Bear Study Team.


>School considers new policy after hat banned

COVENTRY, R.I. (AP) -- The superintendent of a Rhode Island school district that banned a second-grader's homemade hat because it displayed toy soldiers with tiny guns said Saturday he will work to change the policy to allow such apparel.

Coventry schools superintendent Ken Di Pietro said the no-weapons policy shouldn't limit student expression, especially when students are depicting "tools of a profession or service," such as the military or police. "The event exposed how a policy meant to ensure safe environments for students can become restrictive and can present an image counter to the work of our schools to promote patriotism and democracy," Di Pietro said.

David Morales, 8, made the hat after choosing a patriotic theme for a school project. He glued plastic Army figures to a camouflage baseball cap. But school officials banned the hat, saying the guns carried by the Army figures violated school policy.


>Income tax employee saves man's life

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) -- A Kentucky man Saturday was crediting a state income tax employee with saving his life when he had a heart attack during a phone call about his tax bill.

The Lexington Herald-Leader reported that Earl Phillips was talking with state revenue employee Natalie Brown on May 26 when she noticed that he seemed ill.

Phillips said that he didn't want to tell a complete stranger that he needed help, but she verified his address and then called emergency responders.

He was later transferred to a Louisville hospital, where doctors put a stent in his heart. He had a 90 percent blockage in one of his arteries.