Share this article

Open for business
Find out the latest updates from local businesses as our region reopens.
print logo


Boy dies trying to save brother from fire

NEW YORK (AP) -- An 8-year-old boy ran back into his burning apartment to save his little brother but died with him in the smoke and flames, according to neighbors and relatives.

Tyanthony Duckette and his sister were carried out of Thursday's blaze at the Queens duplex by his grandmother Carlota Wilson. But when she was unable to find 17-month-old Daniel Wilson, Tyanthony ran back to save him.

Shortly afterward, the two were pulled out of the house by firefighters. They couldn't be revived at a hospital.

"The boy was very close, very, very tight-knit with all of his siblings," the boys' grandfather, Andrew Wilson, told the Daily News.


NTSB eyes faulty part in May crash of ferry

NEW YORK (AP) -- Federal authorities suspect that a defective part was to blame for a May 8 crash involving the Staten Island Ferry.

The National Transportation Safety Board said Friday that tests on the damaged vessel, the Andrew J. Barberi, confirmed that its propulsion system wasn't responding to commands from the wheelhouse.

The Barberi slammed into a pier at its Staten Island terminal when the pilot couldn't get the ferry to slow down.

The crash caused minor damage to the ferry, and several people were injured when they were tossed to the deck.


Crews save woman stuck in garbage chute

NEW YORK (AP) -- Firefighters say a woman wedged feet-first into a garbage chute at a Brooklyn building was hoisted to safety by emergency crews.

Firefighters responded to a 911 call Friday afternoon at a residential facility associated with the SUNY Downstate Medical Center where they found Jewel Matthew, 36, who weighs about 200 pounds, stuck in the 2-by-2 chute on the sixth floor.

Fire Chief Butch Brandes said crews tied ropes around Matthews so she would not fall to the basement, where a trash compactor could have killed her. They shut down all power, cut a hole in the wall and pulled her out in about a half-hour.


Koppel's son's death blamed on overdose

NEW YORK (AP) -- The son of former ABC News anchor Ted Koppel, who was found dead in a stranger's apartment after a day of bar-hopping, overdosed on a lethal combination of drugs and alcohol, the medical examiner's office said Friday.

Andrew Koppel's May 31 death was ruled an accident. He died from acute intoxication due to the combined effects of alcohol; heroin; cocaine; diazepam, the generic form of the painkiller Valium; and Levamisole, a drug used to cut other drugs.

Koppel 40, had been out most of May 30 drinking.

There are no comments - be the first to comment