Share this article

print logo

Man admits sex abuse, faces 40 years in jail

A Pendleton man could be sentenced to as long as 40 years in prison after he admitted Friday in Niagara County Court that he molested four girls in Cambria last year.

Donald W. Reinard, 36, of Aiken Road, pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree course of sexual conduct against a child and two counts of attempted first-degree sexual abuse.

The 40-year sentencing limit is a maximum set in state law for certain combinations of felonies, defense attorney George V.C. Muscato said.

Court papers said the girls were 5, 7, 8 and 9 years old when the incidents occurred. Reinard admitted a series of incidents with two of the girls.

The series with the 7-year-old began in October 2008 and continued through December 2009; a series of molestations of the 8-year-old began in December 2008 and ended Dec. 26, five days before Reinard's arrest New Year's Eve.

He admitted to single incidents with the other girls, one sometime last July with the 9-year-old and one Dec. 26 with the 5-year-old.

Judge Sara Sheldon Sperrazza ordered Reinard held without bail in the County Jail pending sentencing June 8.

In other court action Friday, a Niagara Falls man who was accused of firing a gunshot into a bar May 31 pleaded guilty to a gun possession charge.

Damien P. Powell, 36, of Forest Avenue, admitted to a reduced charge of attempted second-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance. Judge Matthew J. Murphy III promised to sentence Powell to no more than four years in prison when he returns to court May 26.

Police charged Powell with firing a revolver through the front window of Club Ultra, a Third Street bar. He was not asked to admit to that in court, merely to say that he tried to possess an illegal handgun.

In another shooting case, David F. Pryor III, 17, of Hyde Park Boulevard, Town of Niagara, was arraigned on charges of shooting a man Jan. 13 on Ontario Avenue in Niagara Falls.

Pryor pleaded not guilty to second-degree assault and second-degree weapons possession. Assistant Attorney General Joseph A. Scalzo said Pryor is charged with recklessly firing a sawed-off shotgun in the direction of George Brinson, who was shot in the right shoulder.

In a previous court appearance, a public defender said the shooting was accidental.

Pryor is awaiting sentencing from Murphy for two burglaries to which he admitted last month.

In another burglary case, Jonathan J. Salem, 24, of Birchwood Avenue, Lockport, admitted to a reduced charge of attempted third-degree burglary and is to be sentenced by Murphy May 4.

Salem stole tools from a shed on Birchwood Avenue during a break-in sometime in July. He will have to pay $891.50 in restitution as part of his sentence. A co-defendant, Andrew B. Hodur, 21, of Birchwood Avenue, is awaiting sentencing on the same charge as Salem.

e-mail: tprohaska@buffnews.com

There are no comments - be the first to comment