Share this article

print logo

Serial rapist sentenced to 12 years in state prison

A Newfane man who raped three teenage girls in three different communities in consecutive years, leaving one of them pregnant, was sentenced Thursday to 12 years in state prison by Niagara County Judge Sara Sheldon Sperrazza.

Curtis J. Pardee, 22, formerly of Ide Road, also will face 20 years of probationlike post-release supervision.

Sperrazza could have given Pardee up to 21 years in prison for his guilty pleas to three counts of first-degree sexual abuse.

Defense attorney James J. Faso said Pardee used to be "a law-abiding citizen" before he suffered head injuries when he was beaten by three men on Polar Bear Sunday in Olcott in 2006.

"He will never be the same person he was. He's been diagnosed with being bipolar. He has anxiety issues, he's dyslexic," Faso said. "We don't think that is an excuse, but it is an explanation."

"We know Curtis has done wrong. We are very sorry," his father Andrew and his family wrote in a letter that Faso read aloud. "We just want the old Curtis back."

"This is such a sad case," Sperrazza said. She agreed with Faso that Pardee probably wouldn't have gotten into trouble if not for his mental problems. But, the judge added, the girls wouldn't have been harmed, either.

One of the victims, who was 15 at the time Pardee assaulted her, said she regretted that her first sexual experience wasn't with someone she loved.

"It's going to affect me forever. It's going to affect my husband in the future, my children," she told Sperrazza. "I told the defendant 'no,' and he refused to accept 'no' as an answer. . . . I hope he can never harm another girl the way he harmed me."

Pardee was indicted on charges of raping two 15-year-olds and a 14-year-old. The incidents occurred in 2007 in the Town of Lockport, 2008 in Royalton and 2009 in North Tonawanda. One of the victims has a daughter as a result.

"What you did to them is inexcusable," Sperrazza told Pardee. "Why is it that being off your medication caused that to happen?"

"I made bad decisions," Pardee answered. He said he stopped taking his medication because of a heavy work schedule.

"I want to be a totally different person. I want to stay on my medication," Pardee said.

The judge said, "What's to say you're not going to experience being off your medication again? That is terrifying to me, and I'm sure it is to your parents, and it should be to you."

The sentence apparently didn't suit Andrew Pardee. He stormed out of the courtroom and let the door slam behind him.

Sperrazza signed orders of protection for the three victims and the baby, although she acknowledged that if at some point in the future Pardee wants to see the child, it would be up to Family Court to rule on whether that would be allowed.


There are no comments - be the first to comment